No Luck.....

taneum

I have coyote hunted the Black Hills, and surrounding prairies, 3 times. Not one coyote has even come in. I have a Flextone, handheld trigger style e-caller which I do not think is loud enough. I pay attention to wind Lthough because of my caller I let the wind go from me to the coyote so it will carry the sound. Bad idea? I camo up all the way and try to sit on tree lines overlooking fields so I have cover. I have tried raccoon calls, fox calls, rabbit calls Nd coyote barks.

Nothing is working.

I sit a out 15 minutes and call for about 3-4 minutes. Then I don't call for a mi ute or so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

No coyote will ever come in from downwind if they smell you and they will wind you more than 200 yards away.

If volume is an issue, do the cheapest thing and get a quality mouth call. They are louder than hell and relatively cheap.

Coyote Calls Dogbreath | Coyote Calls | Professional Grade Coyote Calls
The guy above is from MI and makes his own calls commercially. I can recommend them. Generally, you should set up with a cross wind. Coyotes are predators and they know it is stupid to approach anything in a downwind direction. If you have a cross wind it is virtually ideal. If the wind is in your face, they are going to try circle around to your back to approach from that direction and you might never see them before they wind you.

+1 on the manual call. Electronics are nice but manual is better. The prescribed method around here (I live near Westcliffe btw) is white camo or under a white sheet with snowpack. If you hunt with a buddy, just make sure neither of you had lentils for dinner.....:D

Well the crosswind theory sure makes sense. I will look at that next time we head out.

So with the manual calls you don't worry about having them come in directly to you since the call on you?

Also, so when call manually are you carrying 5-7 manual calls so you have the variety or do you rely on one call that you carry with you?

Only three times out and no coyotes? Just keep at it. It will happen. I also prefer a crosswind set up. Coyotes will almost always circle to your downwind. My calling buddy uses a flextone and it is plenty loud enough. Coyotes can hear a mouse squeak at a few hundred yards. Pay close attention to your setup. Sneak in quiet. Sit still and call longer. I call for 20-30 minutes. Then I sit another 10-15 minutes. Occaisionally they come in after I'm done calling. Sometimes curiosity kills the coyote! Don't worry about them coming to you when hand calling, just shoot them before they get too close. Good luck and don't give up.

He has a 2 call set. The howler is quite a different design, the other is a general purpose rabbit in in distress type caller but you can make a lot of different sounds with it. Coyote vocalizations can be very useful, they are quite territorial, particularly in late winter when they get to mating.

You need to try to sit with something behind you to break up your outline and ideally the sun would be behind you too. Otherwise you will be easy to spot and he will not. If you are fair skinned, cover your face and hands with something that is not flashy. White skin is close to flashing a mirror at them... Have the gun shouldered on mid magnification in case they pop up close. You can always dial in more if there is time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts