Beginner's luck

jmason

Yep, I got lucky! Thank you to the guys who gave me pointers, I really appreciate your help.

I went out again this evening to a place I tried last week during the day but had no luck. I knew they were around because of the tracks I saw and the fact they got into a dead calf here. I got there about 10-20 minutes before dark and set up about halfway between where I'd hoped they would come out and their lunch room (calving barn). I started calling and continued for two more sessions 25 minutes had passed then they appeared about 70 yards away . I couldn't believe it I felt like I was seeing ghosts! My gun was pointed the right way and near my shoulder. I shot and hit the first of the two. I was so excited when I cycled my bolt (the other was still standing there) that I pulled it back just far enough to eject but not load the next round and I heard "click" and knew right away what I did. Too late then. I called in and shot my first coyote! It was one of the most exciting hunting experiences I've ever had. I could see for hundreds of yards all around me except for right where they showed up.

I did try to weight it with me on the bathroom scale(in the garage don't tell my wife I took it out there:D),then just me without the coyote and subtracted the difference. It was about 40# and I can't speak to the accuracy of my system either. I have no Idea how big the get around here. It is a male.

I know this is nuthin for some of you guys but I am pumped!!
coyote.JPG

Whoooo Hooooo the fella from Wampum strikes again. Good goin'

Yur done hooked now!!!!!

Remember that the only place you couldn't see 100s of yards is right where they were. They'll do that pretty much every time except when yur expecting it.:D

Until the excitement wears off, if it ever does, you may want to go with a semi-auto.:D:D:D:D

40# is good sized but size doesn't count. Its the number of 'em that does.

Keep on truckin'. Yewl have a blast.....

Thank you fellers I'm definatly hooked! Me and my brother in law are going out again tonight.

Hey Roy I shot this one near your old back yard, West Sunbury.

CONGRATS! Keep at it, and pretty soon you'll get a very good feel for where they hang out, where they'll come out, etc... I usually use a lightweight AR-15 for my calling as if that second shot is presented, there's no thinking, just point and shoot.

They definitely use cover to their advantage. If there is one line of brush to you, they'll probably take that.

Thank you fellers I'm definatly hooked! Me and my brother in law are going out again tonight.

Hey Roy I shot this one near your old back yard, West Sunbury.

West Sunbury??? Whatcha doin' over in that neck of the woods?????

Moniteau Highschool is just out side of West Sunbury. I was the first person to receive a diploma from that school. It was brand new. Class of '60.

Go from West Sunbury towards Butler. Go until you cross rail road tracks or where they used to be??? Take the next left. That puts you on the road that takes you over to Route 38 near what used to be called Boydstown Res. Butler used to get its water from there. Pee in it. Just for spite.:D

After you turn onto that road at the tracks go until you come to a square turn. Immediately after the turn there is a bit of down hill grade. At the bottom to the grade it flattens out. As it flattens out on the right will/may be an old white house and one hell of a pine tree next to the road. That is where my grandparents lived. I spent many a day roaming those hills hunting chucks and rabbits.

Oh and across the creek, up on the hill a bit to the left was maybe is, who knows, a major great berry patch. Rasp, Black, Boysin. Just in case, bring a bucket.:D

There's 40 acres there on both sides of the road. You can give it a go. One of my cousins owns it, I believe. If any one gives you grief tell 'em that Sonny Chiappini said you could be there. That should get you through any initial problems.

On that square turn there was a farm house and barn on the right side and pasture on the left.

Another place to try is just before the square turn is/was a dirt road went to the right. That went to "Minie's" who Minie was I have no idea but there were plenty of rabbits there.:rolleyes: That road may prove decent to take.

Remember that this information is coming from the late 50s early 60s so it may be a bit off:)

Roy some of what you described seems familiar. I'm going to print this and see if I can figure it out. I'll find your "possible cousin" and tell them sonny sent me so I can avoid the initial problems though:D.Where I was hunting is across the road from "The Mines" on Branchton road. The mines are now underground office space. I'm not sure if they were their when you you lived here.:) There are 2 track crossings on Branchton one is abandoned now it has the "square turns", that is if we're on the same page.

that is if we're on the same page.

I can only vaguely recall Branston???????????????? Pretty dim.......

The tracks I'm thinking of are just down road from DeDe Pensy's house. Man was she "hot" back the day. Cheerleader and all that stuff.:) I think Sally Klink lived somewhere around there. Some things ya just never forget.:rolleyes:

I'll do the google earth thing and zero it in.

Ok I googled......

The road is Mahood road going east. The sharp turn is just passed the pond on the left. Sawmill Ln goes through the old home place though I don't think the Ln ever existed.......

There looks like a bunch of great fields in that area.

Also a left at the church will take you back to the strip mines. They were dug in the early 60s Must be grown up pretty well by now.

I'm pretty much located in down town Los Alamos NM for the next several months.
We have a bear problem at the dumpsters for the apartment complex.

I'm gonna take a paint ball gun and see if I can mark a bear and some yotes. There's also ring tails, bob cats and cougars in the area.

Pretty neat stuff.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.