No luck finding Retumbo; good powder for 24 in barrel 338 LAI

I don't load for the cartridge in question but see imr enduron 8133 compared to retumbo and absolutely love 8133 in my .300 win shooting 225 grain bullets. It's a tad slower burning than retumbo I think but also a bit denser so you can get more in the case. I'd recommend 8133.

Which powder were you able to get more velocity with?

Thanks for the tip
Have never tried retumbo so for myself I can't compare - for the same reason though, when I wanted to try retumbo I couldn't find it so I did some research and ended up "settling" with 8133. Not going to bother messing with anything else now, printed a legit one hole group at 100 yards with 225 eld m bullets (hbn treated, Winchester brass, fed 215m) with a compressed load of 79 grains, mv 2760 or so (3750 foot pounds) so not a barn burner but not sluggish, right what you'd expect from a .300 win mag.

I would try h1000, or reloader 26. With your shorter barrel these may bode well with the barrel length.

If you cannot source those powders - try some Imr 7977.

Ooh yes I'm intrigued about that one as well but haven't seen it around yet. Isn't that a ball powder? I'm always a bit untrusting of ball powders
yes it is a ball powder I am trying it in a 6.5-280 ackley with 156 bergers and getting good velocity with it don't know much about the temp stability yet

I plan on trying some H1000. I have 3 pounds in storage.
Consistency trumps velocity and h1000 is consistent if anything. Supposed to be temp stable as well, more than retumbo. Haven't tested that for myself yet. Found out the hard way early in my loading career that Rl22 is about the most sensitive powder there is!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.