Retumbo Powder

No individual can ship hazmat materials via USPS, UPS, FedEx or Tom's Turtles. Unlawful, minimum fine $45K. This INCLUDES primers and powder. Probably a whole lot less trouble to wait for local restock or purchase a substitute powder.

HUH? When did this start?? I was under the impression that a person could ship HazMat via UPS as long as they paid the HazMat shipping fee.

HUH? When did this start?? I was under the impression that a person could ship HazMat via UPS as long as they paid the HazMat shipping fee.

I don't think it has ever been that way. It's quite a tedious process to get certified to ship hazmat. The only thing worse ( for the shipper, that is ) than shipping hazmat without a license to do so is screwing up when you are licensed and not doing it right. It is a highly detailed process, and there are lots of angles to attend to along the way. While it seems like highway robbery when you are paying the fee, if you knew what goes into it you'd appreciate it. As a retired UPS pilot, I certainly appreciate that things that are capable of causing a major problem in the back of a cargo airplane have been properly packaged by certified hands.

No individual can ship hazmat materials via USPS, UPS, FedEx or Tom's Turtles. Unlawful, minimum fine $45K. This INCLUDES primers and powder. Probably a whole lot less trouble to wait for local restock or purchase a substitute powder.
I'm still confused. Illegal, unla
Jc, extremely difficult to find let alone same lot. Try IMR Enduron 8133, practically the same burn rate. IMR advertises it as their answer to Retumbo. Saw 12 lb on the shelf two days ago.
Its actually slower by load weight. Tried it. Had better and closer matches with the imr 7977 with a bout the same capacity. 7977 is supposed to replace H1000 but is actually slower than h1000 in all 3 calibers I tried it in. Compared realy close to all my retumbo loads.

Hodgdon told me they didn't know if theyll catch up this year on retumbo orders. They said some h1000 was going out the end of month.

I have something to say about this rule about individuals shipping HazMat . I had hazmat shipped to me less than 6 years ago from a woman in Missouri with guns from a collection to someone here in Nevada. it was his inheritance. his sister was told by the USPS to just pay the hazmat and the USPS would ship it for her. how did that happen if it was illegal to do?

Not going to argue what some people do illegal but USPS strickly states no ammo or explosives and some people get away with it but I don't feel like federal prison time. Especially in this day and age to even think of trying to ship explosives through USPS is a no brainer

Not going to argue what some people do illegal but USPS strickly states no ammo or explosives and some people get away with it but I don't feel like federal prison time. Especially in this day and age to even think of trying to ship explosives through USPS is a no brainer
IT was USPS that told her to do this. she asked the head person at her local post office how she was supposed to do this. this person instructed her how to and it came to me via USPS. this is all I know so why would an employee of the USPS tell her how to do something illegal? I am very confused here.

an employee not understanding all the rules but the law is the law and an individual cannot ship powder with out a hazmat license and I wont take that chance, now if a person knows someone with a hazmat license they can get it shipped

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.