No Hydrodynamic Shock Below 2600FPS??

ralphjunius

A respected ballistics expert basically says that bullets .338 diameter and less loose their hydrodynamic shock value below 2600fps. This basically means a .308 Win shooting a 180g bullet and a .338 Win Mag both loose their shock value in less than 100 yards. I have harvested animals with rifles from 270 Win to 375 H&H and am still confused.
I'm about to do a black bear hunt and if i go with that theory I'd pick a 225g over a 250g bullet for my 338 Win Mag. I'd be real interested in what you guys on the forrum have to say about this. What do you all think?

A respected ballistics expert basically says that bullets .338 diameter and less loose their hydrodynamic shock value below 2600fps. This basically means a .308 Win shooting a 180g bullet and a .338 Win Mag both loose their shock value in less than 100 yards. I have harvested animals with rifles from 270 Win to 375 H&H and am still confused.
I'm about to do a black bear hunt and if i go with that theory I'd pick a 225g over a 250g bullet for my 338 Win Mag. I'd be real interested in what you guys on the forrum have to say about this. What do you all think?
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

The 210 Grain Nosler Partition was, a "Killer" pushed at almost, 3,000 FPS for me, back WHEN, I had, a .338 Win Mag.
Anything that, "Mushroom's" well and Penetrates deep ( breaks, Bones ) would be "Good" !
Break, One Shoulder and "Scramble",.. the Lungs,.. Dead Bear !
PS;.. Always WAIT, a Few Minutes till, AFTER,. the Death Moan, to be Safe !
The 225 gr. Hornady would be, my Second choice and would also, work Fine on, Blackie's !

Last edited:
Typical. No one asks who. No one asks for a link to the article. Nothing. Just straight to insults and "I know better than them" without even knowing what was said or who said it.

I think I'll wait for context instead of showing everyone that I lack any basic critical thinking skills or humanity.

Typical. No one asks who. No one asks for a link to the article. Nothing. Just straight to insults and "I know better than them" without even knowing what was said or who said it.

I think I'll wait for context instead of showing everyone that I lack any basic critical thinking skills or humanity.
AMEN!