.308 166 shock hammers

bgoniea

I just drew a Arizona rifle elk tag. I want to use my Dad's 30-06. I got the rifle many years ago after he passed away and I never hunted with it. Just ordered a box of 166 shock hammers, but I can't find what powder to use. I have H4350, Varget, Big Game, REL 17. Any ideas what powder would be best?

Thanks Ben

H4350 is your huckleberry. In my 06, I run 59.5 of H4350 with 168ttsx around 2950 2 Moose 1 Elk. Great big game load. Nice to see your bringing your Dad's rifle out for the hunt. Should be a great time. Good luck!!

The Sierra mobile app. Which has been spot on for me suggests H4895 and Rl-15 are good choices for the 06 under 165-168grn pills. Good luck. I have a hand me down 257 Roberts that I really enjoy taking afield.

Different bullet,I've
20201029_160753.jpg
had good luck with 55.5grs of Big Game using 168gr Ballistic Tips.I have several rifles that will shoot this load.

I have worked up a load with 166gr Hammer Hunters and they are accurate so I expect the 166 gr Shock Hammers will seal the deal quite quickly!
Friends in Texas started using Shock Hammers in all their pig guns,semi-auto's,bolt and lever rifles and it took the 30-30 to a whole different level.Get pics of your hunt as I'm sure you know we all are going with you(in spirit anyway)
Enjoy your hunt

I just drew a Arizona rifle elk tag. I want to use my Dad's 30-06. I got the rifle many years ago after he passed away and I never hunted with it. Just ordered a box of 166 shock hammers, but I can't find what powder to use. I have H4350, Varget, Big Game, REL 17. Any ideas what powder would be best?

Thanks Ben
That's amazing and hats off to you for making that your priority! I'd give my last cent to do so! Call Steve at Hammer and he'll give you the info you'll need to make it happen. I wish you the best of luck in your efforts and when it's all said and done, please post the pics and story of your success.