No Crimping groove !

Iron Worker

We all know Its so tough to get bullets these days . I just acquired a X Frame S&W 460. I found some Hornady 200gr XTP bullet one box on the shelf. Picture on Box showed a crimping groove ? But there isn't one on the bullets !!!! I'm wondering if I can either seat bullet deep and crimp on the radius of the bullet ? or just try and crimp with out distorting the case ?

You don't need a canulere to crimp a straight wall cartridge. Just crimp on the bullet. No biggie.

Exactly!

You might want to just put a light crimp on it, even without the cannelure. Just enough to keep the other bullets from rattling loose, from the high recoil caliber. I love loading for my S&W 686 6" .357 Mag & S&W 629 6.5" ported .44 Mag.

Probably should not state this (I'll get flack I'm sure) but I crimp everything including all the bottleneck rifle cartridges, cannelure or not... Not a stong, deep crimp on the conventional rounds but a light crimp.... even the 338 Lapua's I heavy crimp all my reference workups and mark the cases with a paint marker for later reference, that way my feeble memory don't have to recollect what I set the OAL at, I load for many different calibers and weapons.

My reasoning is simply that it insures that the round stays where I seat the bullet at, even if they are rattling around in my hunting jacket pocket or I happen to drop a couple.

I use Lee collet crimpers on bottleneck rounds and the conventional seat/crimp die on straightwall cases.

There, I said it. Let the pummeling begin.....:)

There, I said it. Let the pummeling begin.....:)

No pummeling indicated, while not obsessive about it, I have a crimp die for 375 H&H as on kickers like 350 grain Barnes the bottom ones can come loose if magazine fed. Friction fit is OK dependent on the tolerances in the dies. I haven't used it in ages, but I have a
C-H cannelure tool, I think they're still around. Corbin I believe also makes one.

I'm not disagreeing with any prior advice just adding an option.

I shoot a lot of vintage military rifles and I have found that most have very long throats. I have found that by using a Lee Factory Crimp Die I can load a round so it will work through the magazine and be very accurate. Much more accurate than a non-crimped round. I have not seen this improvement in accuracy with my modern shorter throat rifles where I can load the bullet closer to the lands.
For ALL pistol rounds I use the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. They put a nice taper crimp.

You can load the bullet deeper and crimp over the edge of the bullet but a regular lighter crimp should work. You do not want to try to run those 200 gr XTPs more than 1000 fps because they are designed for the 45 ACP. These bullets are .541 diameter and your 460 calls for .452 diameter. The 200 gr .451 probably will not be very accurate. The lightest bullet that Hornady list in their loading manual for the 460 S&W is their .452 diameter 240 gr XTP-Mag. Just some food for thought.

I load for a lot of different rifles (most I don't own btw) and when I work up loads and find a combination that shoots well in a particular rifle, I always make up a primerless cartridge and put it with the rifle. Thats how I started crimping bottlenecks than I started crimping them all so the bullets don't move. Not a crank down on it crimp, just a light crimp to hug the bullet. I don't seem to effect accuracy at all. It might shorten brass life or require more frequent annealings but I haven't seen that yet either.

You have designated drivers and designated chaperones, I'm the designated reloader for the group. I reload a pile of ammunition every year. We have a couple guys who like to shoot for relaxiation. me, I have other ways to relax.

I sight in a rifle and find the best combo of bullet, brass, primer and powder and don't fool with it, except for hunting and ocassional target practice.

I use a VERY slight crimp on my .357 Magnum loads. Like Flip said, just enough to hug the bullet, where you feel a slight crimp with your finger when you run it over the end of the brass.

Too heavy of a crimp can be bad and start affecting accuracy from higher chamber pressures.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.