Modify crimp groove

98s1lightning

How would one go about modifying a standard "knurled" bullet LIGHT crimp groove into a HEAVY WIDE DEEP groove like this woodleigh.

My 348 is finicky on holding crimp with tube mag and stout recoil.

IMG_2615.JPG

This is not a 348 bullet, but it is a good view of a deep crimp groove

I was using LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE

I realize you could possibly only change the bullet crimp so much, the lines on what I'm calling a knurled crimp are there for the material to have a place to go as it shrinks

I'm not so sure you could CNC a deeper groove in a jacketed bullet, you would cut through the copper jacket and into the lead core.

I think the Woodleighs probably have a much thicker jacket than most bullets so they don't break through, because their groove does look like a turning operation on the lathe.

You can buy what is called a cannelure knurling tool, it turns the cannelure into the bullet at whatever depth you want, most Woodleigh cannelures run at .040"-.050" deep, but some are deeper depending on calibre. I think 4HD made one years ago, it came with different knurls of differing widths.
The cannelure is rolled into the jacket. The only turned cannelure was the very old Partition, this stopped in the 80's.

Cheers.

That's it. What he said ^^^^^^^^.
My granddad had one, he liked his ammo with a crimp. And to use your die for a crimp, you had to be very careful. The cannelure helped. đź‘Ť

Last edited:
You can get a cannalure tool. They're meant for adding a cannalure, but I don't see why they couldn't deeoen an existing one. I have no experience with any of them but looked into it when I was considering buying a 357 with a long cylinder so I could seat the bullet farther out.

The CH one is pretty cheap. Corbin's is more expensive but looks like a nicee unit to me.

I was always assuming that the Lee FCD was best for bullets with no cannelure and also when light crimp was desired. How about a roll crimp? Or you could modify the Lee FCD collets to make the crimp on a smaller area thus more "bite".