To crimp or not to crimp?

Your logic of no one trying anything new in BR and shooting the same cartrdges is not following my logic... Benchrest shooters would use Buffalo Dung if it would improve accuracy.. Some of the bullet makers have stated in adds that to crimp a non crimp grove bullet is a bad idea.I have crimped bullets in rifles that needed them to be crimped such as a 458 and have shot them single shot in the same gun uncrimped and do not see ANY accuracy Improvement... If you want to crimp by all means...I dought very much that you will be able t0o prove that it in and of itself helps accuracy the more variables induced into the equation would not appear to be the best solution to better accuracy...

Reread what you wrote and then read what I wrote in response.
I could give a **** what you do! You made an all encompassing statement about crimping being a Holy Grail WHICH NOBODY ever said, EXCEPT for YOU.

This conversation has become ridiculous, I'm done wasting my time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Reread what you wrote and then read what I wrote in response.
I could give a **** what you do! You made an all encompassing statement about crimping being a Holy Grail WHICH NOBODY ever said, EXCEPT for YOU.

This conversation has become ridiculous, I'm done wasting my time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A little testy I see,just because I don't believe that crimping is the way to better accuracy,then you prove me wrong..........
thumb.gif

alrighty guy's
i was looking for the pro's and con's of crimping i didn't start this thread for ya'll to have a ****ing match.

Thanks for all the info that was givin to me.If anyone has anything they would like to add that might help me or things i should know about crimping just let me know.

THANKS AGAIN.

BigDaddy,
I have had the same questions and about the same answers; isn't necessary except for blahblahblah. I haven't had/taken the time yet to try it myself. If you do try it, let us know how it works out; I'm currious.

Colby,
I loaded 40 last night same bullet same powder ect. I crimped 20 and didn't crimp the other 20.I'm going to do a 100 200 300 and a 400 yard test to see. at 100 with out crimping i shoot 5 shots a little bigger than a quarter .
I'll let you know how it works out if there is any differance or not.

I loaded 20 crimped and 20 not crimped. both were 180gr SST's with 73 grains of H4831SC, rem brass, fed210m. both shot well at 110 yards.I did notice that the crimped did shoot different.they hit about a half inch high and o the right but grouped well.I even got a guy the was shooting next to me to shoot a few and his grouped in the same place.as for FPS i didn't have a crony with me.also i tumbled the brass and trimed them last night and the crimped shells did need to be trimed and the one's not crimped didn't need to be trimed.all was virgin brass.

i will test 20 and 20 more this up comeing weekend to see if it works about the same on different days. but i think crimping might help out for me at 300 plus yards.

THANKS for all the info you guys have let me in on...

Big

Like I said in my post, I've found crimped loads to produce slightly better accuracy and slightly better SD. The paper and chrono don't lie. You can't knock it until you've tried it.

This link pretty much sums it up:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

My results were very much the same.

There's another link on AR showing the lowered SD values when using the Lee FCD with a 308. Saeed could point you to it.

The fact is Crimping can improve things. May not make every rifle shoot better but, I'd venture to say it will not hurt anything if done properly.

To each his own.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

I get a 5FPS Extreme spread with my uncrimped loads,don't think crimping is going to close that up much.
Accuracy is about eliminating variables,not adding them.

by BigDaddy0381
"also i tumbled the brass and trimed them last night and the crimped shells did need to be trimed and the one's not crimped didn't need to be trimed.all was virgin brass."
Already he is experiencing a variable that leads to the thining of the the case just in front of the head and if loaded enough times will cause case head seperation... Anything that you think you are solving by crimping can be solved better in other ways.Better SD and lower extreme spreads can and always have been solved by tweeking the powder charge and or changing to a different primer.....

If crimping gives lower SD's, than it simply means you're not using enough powder without crimping or you need a faster pressure curve powder to optimize harmonics. Or you need to increase bullet grip using a bushing die. That will increase neck tension and still maintain good concentricity.

Crimping makes your loaded ammo almost impossible to keep concentricities running good.

I only crimp my handgun ammo and I always use a taper crimp-never a roll crimp even at that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jwp475, goodgrouper,

I will agree that from time to time crimping will produce a better group, but that only tells you something is major wrong with your uncrimped load. Jwp475 is right, it only adds a avariable to complicate things more, Goodgrouper is rigt on with the concentricity issue. Well you all can see which side I take. No crimping for me. I stopped crimping over 30 years ago. As they say, to each his own, if you're happy crimping just knock your self out and be happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This very much seems like a bullet debate! Some love a SMK for big game and others decry it! Some folks full length size every time, some neck size only, some uniform flash holes some don't!

What one person does to achieve their results is their business, and IMO is neither right nor wrong, it is just their way to get there.

You can machine parts on a 150,000 dollar CNC lathe or make the part using a file and some patience, but if the results are the same then they are the same.....and sometimes it is the journey that makes the trip worthwhile.

Perhaps changing powder/load/bullet/..... will give you the same result, but how many shots do you have to put down the bore to find a better load? If you do find a better load, then does that mean that there is or is not another load that is even more accurate? You can do "what ifs" forever, or you can shoot, your choice.

edge.

[ QUOTE ]
Crimping makes your loaded ammo almost impossible to keep concentricities running good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, With the LFCD my loads stay very straight. I've checked before and after crimping and they were the exact same.

You guys can't compare crimping with a seating die to crimping with a LFCD, totally different ball game.

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts