To crimp or not to crimp?

I agree edge, everyone has to do what works for them. Crimping works for me in my rifles. Noone is going to tell me I'm wrong to crimp because I know it works in my rifles. I've noticed that most folks that debate crimping have never tried it. I try not to knock things I haven't tried myself extensively.

Ya'll have a Good One

Reloader

[ QUOTE ]
This very much seems like a bullet debate! Some love a SMK for big game and others decry it! Some folks full length size every time, some neck size only, some uniform flash holes some don't!

What one person does to achieve their results is their business, and IMO is neither right nor wrong, it is just their way to get there.

You can machine parts on a 150,000 dollar CNC lathe or make the part using a file and some patience, but if the results are the same then they are the same.....and sometimes it is the journey that makes the trip worthwhile.

Perhaps changing powder/load/bullet/..... will give you the same result, but how many shots do you have to put down the bore to find a better load? If you do find a better load, then does that mean that there is or is not another load that is even more accurate? You can do "what ifs" forever, or you can shoot, your choice.

edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

AS I SAID BEFORE:

[ QUOTE ]
No crimping for me. I stopped crimping over 30 years ago. As they say, to each his own, if you're happy crimping just knock your self out and be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to get so edgy, we're all friendly people just given our opinions. Goodgrouper in spite of his youth, he's reloaded so much that his experience would probably be 3 times his age compared to many of us. I would concider what his has to say.

To go from point A to point B the shortest distance is a straight line. We all know that. That's exactly what we are all trying to accomplish; FIND THE STRAIGHT LINE. Why would any one want to make it difficult to themselves and others?

What the H*ll is your problem, did you not read what I wrote you EDGY person?

HERE, since you are hard of hearing:

"What one person does to achieve their results is their business, and IMO is neither right nor wrong, it is just their way to get there."

If you want to STROKE somebody here, then start your own thread!

All that I have tried to do is to help a fellow shooter!

If you choose to not help, that is fine, but, IMO stifling ideas does not promote anything except the status quo.

The person that started this thread, NOT YOU, came with a legitimate question, and he also has had some positive results.

Apparently SOME Know-it-alls know everything that there is and will ever be known in the shooting World......

IMO, we will continue to learn, mainly from each other, sometimes, and sometimes good ideas will be held back simply because some are too blind to see that there are other ways of getting things done.

edge.

On a personal note, and I do try to keep things on a friendly tone, BUT, sometimes friendly does not work with some people. I NEVER told this shooter to crimp or not to crimp, but others have made definitive statements. YET, you chose to single my response out, as being edgy?

I'm well known for being a man that gets along well with all kinds of people. I guess I have failed today or you're just completely different than most people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Therefore, it's just wise that I back off, allowing this post to be my last one here. Some one will understand it for what I really meant.

Sincerely,

Eaglet.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm well known for being a man that gets along well with all kinds of people. I guess I have failed today or you're just completely different than most people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Therefore, it's just wise that I back off, allowing this post to be my last one here. Some one will understand it for what I really meant.

Sincerely,

Eaglet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did............
thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I did............
thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! Now that's a shock, I thought that you two were joined at the hip!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I did............
thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! Now that's a shock, I thought that you two were joined at the hip!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprised at what you might think.......

Come on, you can be more creative than that, or do you need more time to have Eaglet give you a better one, too bad.

This thread started on a good note, it went sour, then almost made it back.... but NO, you guys have to play your silly bad a*s games and only allow YOUR ideas. Grow up, and if you only have sarcasm, perhaps move on to the next thread and let folks that want to help make suggestions!

[ QUOTE ]

This thread started on a good note, it went sour, then almost made it back.... but NO, you guys have to play your silly bad a*s games and only allow YOUR ideas. Grow up, and if you only have sarcasm, perhaps move on to the next thread and let folks that want to help make suggestions!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite apparent who's playing the bad *** games........ Do you have a mirror?.....
confused.gif

This certainly is adding nothing to help BigDaddy0381 with his questions, so I am done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hopefully he will let us know how "To crimp or not to crimp?" works out in his particular situation.

edge.

First off,
I'm new to reloading so i'm trying to figuer it all out with a proper starting platform.(no bad habits)

the reason behind me wanting to know about crimping is.I did a load of 75GR of H4831sc and they shot awsome 5 in a quarter.okay on second load of same brass same load I seperated some cases.One came out of gun split around base.the other base came out and main part stayed in the gun.(not fun to get out)My thought was load is to hot.so i droped powder charge and my acuracey went way down.I was thinking cripmping might help.I have tryed all the powder charges from 70 and up.the 75gr was the best i have moved the bullet in and out and still nothing like i want.
So i was just playing around with the crimping to see if it would help it did some what but still nothing like the first load i did.

Do ya'll have any ideas for me to try?

75 grains seems to be pretty highly compressed, isn't it?
Is your OAL too long and are you jamming the bullet into the lands by ALOT ?

H1000 or 4350 might be options.

You may want to start a new thread asking for 300 Win Mag Loads with your brass and bullets as limiting factors.

edge.

the 75 gr is not a compressed load with the short cut.I still have room for maybe 3 or 4 moregrains.
when i chamber the loaded shell it gose in easy.I'm running my seating depth right around 3.335 to 3.330 the oal is 3.340.
the 3.340 is so close in the magazine that if one shell turns any it will get stuck.so i have backed off it a little.

[ QUOTE ]
First off,
I'm new to reloading so i'm trying to figuer it all out with a proper starting platform.(no bad habits)

the reason behind me wanting to know about crimping is.I did a load of 75GR of H4831sc and they shot awsome 5 in a quarter.okay on second load of same brass same load I seperated some cases.One came out of gun split around base.the other base came out and main part stayed in the gun.(not fun to get out)My thought was load is to hot.so i droped powder charge and my acuracey went way down.I was thinking cripmping might help.I have tryed all the powder charges from 70 and up.the 75gr was the best i have moved the bullet in and out and still nothing like i want.
So i was just playing around with the crimping to see if it would help it did some what but still nothing like the first load i did.

Do ya'll have any ideas for me to try?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 2 causes for case head seperation.
1- bumping the shoulder to far back and allow the case to have a head pace problem.How this happens is when the cartridge is fired the pressure sends the case back hard against the bolt and allows for ht case to stretch forward to fill the chamber and the stretch comes from just in front of the case head.A few shots in this manner and you will get case head seperation

2- Is caused by a case lenghting and needing continual triming this why many prefer an improved case with a sharp shoulder as they stretch less.Example a 300 H&H case will stretch more than a 300 winn case upon each fireing, becauyse of the shallow should and the sloping case design...

Make sure that when the case' are re-sized that the shoulder of the case is against the shoulder area of the chamber and the case head seperation problem will be resolved...............

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.