To crimp or not to crimp?

BigDaddy0381

I shoot a 300 win mag.The die set i bought has a crimp die with it.
Has or dose anyone crimp?If so what are the pros and can's?Dose it build up pressure's?dose in deform the bullet?ect....

Big

I do not, would not crimp a 300 Win Mag and see no logical reason to do so.........

as of now i have not crimped anything but i had the die so was wondering the pro's and con's of doing it.

Thanks for the reply.

In a light rifle with lots of recoil and using a magazine, the loads not fired could have the potential of setting the bullets back. In a single shot I doubt that it would be needed unless your powder needs more pressure than the neck tension produces to be accurate.

edge.

So will crimping will build a little more pressure?
do match primers build more pressure also?

I might crimp so to se how they act.I have the die so why not if they don't fly right i can say i have atleast tryed it.

Thanks

Does your bullets have a conalure on them? Probable not,therefore they are not intended to be crimped. You apparently have a set of Lee factory crimp dies.....a fishing lure in my opion.. Crimping is benificial in Big Bore revolvers inorder to eliminate the bullets from pulling out of the case and tying the gun up. Also big bore rifles,such as 458 Win Mag where recoil may force the bullet deeper in the case with the remaining bullets in the magazine. Also lever action tubular feed magazines benifit from crimping,but not a 300 Win mag.......
thumb.gif

yes some of the bullets i use dose have a canalur and some don't.
I know some people always crimp and some don't i was just asking for knowledge.

i haven't noticed if my gun is moving the bullet in the case or not.

Crimping works great in some rifles. I actually get better accuracy and lower SD when crimping even in my paper punchers.

The Lee FC die is a very useful tool when used properly. I believe crimping is more useful in less expensive brass such as Win, Rem, Fed, and Hornady where you may have minor variances in neck tension even in the same lot.

Crimping can be overdone and damage bullets. I only use a light crimp on bullets that don't have cannelures. Usually I screw it in until shell holder contact and then 1/3-1/2 a turn more. This gives a light crimp and can improve accuracy in some rifles. You'll get a feel for how much crimp to place as you'll feel an ever so slight resistance when at the bottom of the stroke on the press.

A bullet does not have to have a cann to be crimped. I have rifles that will shoot 1/4 MOA with crimped rounds. It sort of gives me an assurance that everything is the same as well.

I crimp nearly all of my hunting rounds.

Good Luck

Reloader

Reloading for more than 40 years. Crimp handgun loads only. Never crimped bolt action rifle loads and never had a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Reloading for more than 40 years. Crimp handgun loads only. Never crimped bolt action rifle loads and never had a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly..........
thumb.gif

Here is a 300 yard group 300 Winn. Mag. NO CRIMP 180 TSX 81 grain H-1000 Federal 215 Primer

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-groups300-yar.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be a wise arse, but how do you know if they would not shoot better if you never tried? I am in no way implying that they would...but they might.
I do admit that your current best load may or may not shoot better, but since when is good, good enough?

edge.

edge,If crimping is the holy grail of accuracy as Lee Reloading equipment advocates,then a logical conclusion would be that crimping would be all the rage in both short range and 1000 yard benchrest would it not?.......

I've tried crimping on a 270 Win. It was so long ago that I don't recall why I don't do it any more.

The only rifle cartridge that 'I' know of where crimping makes a 'big' difference is the Hornet w/very light bullets.

[ QUOTE ]
edge,If crimping is the holy grail of accuracy as Lee Reloading equipment advocates,then a logical conclusion would be that crimping would be all the rage in both short range and 1000 yard benchrest would it not?.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let me use your logic.

First, I am not a 1000 yard benchrest shooter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If what you say is correct then ALL, 100% of the 1000 yard benchrest shooters must shoot the exact same load with the exact same barrels with the exact same loading procedures!
Is this the case ? I doubt it!

I would also assume that they are shooting what benchrest shooters shot 10 or 20 or 30 years ago since nobody wants to experiment.

Remember, I NEVER said, or even implied that it would be better in EVERYONES rifle, but if you never tried it then YOU ABSOLUTELY have no idea if it is better or worse in YOUR rifle, and that IS a fact!

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.