No bolt lock - a serious omission

You probably childproof cabinets because youre afraid you'll raise Tide pod eaters too. GTFO with the over-lawyering safety crap.

Keep your gun in your hands or sling it in front across your body. Its not an inconvenience it's a weapon. It's quicker too.

I doubt the invention of the bolt lock was a lawyer issue since it's been on the Mauser since 1898. Heck even the Winchester 1873 has a lock on the lever to prevent it from accidentally opening so it is by no means a new concept.

I've had the bolt on my Model 70 get caught while pushing through the thick pines on our property during drives, and that was with the gun held vertically to my chest while I was walking backwards pushing through the trees. Since it's locked it didn't open but it would have been a pain in the *** to stop in the middle of the drive to figure out where my cartridge got flung too in the brush.

The Mauser '98 was designed as a military rifle. So was the 1903/03A3 Springfield. The '73 Winchester was designed in and for a different time, when loosing a cartridge could mean the difference between life and death. So, unless you figure you're going to war when you go out hunting...………. If you happen to be hunting dangerous game (which you're probably NOT with a Ruger American!) , well,,, that's a completely different tool. The 3 position wing safety does a good job of locking the bolt AND firing pin, locking the firing pin, or into the FIRE position. But, they cost money! And the rifle without a bolt lock that's in question doesn't cost much , in the big scheme of things. Ya' pay for what ya' get! If it doesn't meet your wants, don't buy it!

The Mauser '98 was designed as a military rifle. So was the 1903/03A3 Springfield. The '73 Winchester was designed in and for a different time, when loosing a cartridge could mean the difference between life and death. So, unless you figure you're going to war when you go out hunting...………. If you happen to be hunting dangerous game (which you're probably NOT with a Ruger American!) , well,,, that's a completely different tool. The 3 position wing safety does a good job of locking the bolt AND firing pin, locking the firing pin, or into the FIRE position. But, they cost money! And the rifle without a bolt lock that's in question doesn't cost much , in the big scheme of things. Ya' pay for what ya' get! If it doesn't meet your wants, don't buy it!

Cost isn't necessarily a factor either, my old Browning A-Bolt locks the bolt and that was a few hundred bucks compared to the multi thousand dollar 700 pattern custom rifles that do not. However a 700 pattern action with 3 position safety will run you $1980 from Defiance along with however much Dakota charges for their Model 97.

As for the wants I fully agree with you there, I spend countless hours researching something before I buy it to make sure it meets my needs.

More on this bolt lock issue?
I don't understand the problem, but I only load when I'm gonna shoot

Even still that doesn't prevent the bolt from getting knocked open and stuff getting inside the action, a real concern for someone who does hunting in thick brush.

50 deer seasons hunting in the thick brush of northwestern WI taught me early on the value of a locking bolt whether there is a round in the chamber or not. The locking bolt feature really depends on how, and where you hunt. Sitting in a deer stand with the rifle in my hands certainly does not require this feature. However, while still hunting in thick areas where really heavy brush is often encountered, well that's something else. I've had bolts open, or partially open even with the rifle in my hands. Because I hunt both ways, all of my hunting rifles have this feature. If its a feature you want, buy accordingly. Gun safety has, and always will be the responsibility of the user.

I always thought the bolt locks were kind of annoying. I never use it on the sporterized Springfield, M77 Hawkeyes, or any of the Savages. The CZ 527 has a bolt lock built into the two position safety and it's always bugged me. I've removed the bolt lock from any of the older Remingtons I've had. I don't like having take the safety off to unload the gun.

In all my years hunting the brush in western WA I've never had the bolt open on me while hunting. If I'm crawling around in anything too ugly with the rifle slung though I'll carry the rifle with an empty chamber and the safety off. I can have a round in the chamber by the time the rifle is to my shoulder, so it's really not an issue.

Heck, I always liked my 98 and Savages... they may not be the prettiest but results are what counts.

I personally like the bolt to lock some way or another. My uncle lost the bolt out of his Sako while we were hiking over some fairly rough country. The chamber was unloaded but the safety was not engaged (I do not know if the bolt locked with the safety engaged) and at some point the bolt fell out. Like him, when I close the bolt on an empty chamber, I automatically pull the trigger so the rifle is not cocked, which means in most cases, the safety can't be engaged anyway. We all had the rifles slung over our backs but since I usually keep a round in the chamber mine was on safe & the bolt was locked on my Ruger 77. I've never had any rifle safety come off walking thru brush.

I can't say the same regarding the safety on my 1911. When I carried daily, I found the safety off several times at the end of the day over the years. Since I never rely on a safety to keep me and those around me safe anyway, it's never been an issue. Of course, I've never once had the safety slip off on my Glock! (wink, wink)
Cheers,
crkckr
PS. The first one that reminds us all that Glocks don't have a safety gets an "F" for the day and has to take the rest of the day off of the internet, since you clearly cannot recognize sarcasm!.

While I prefer a 3 way safety(the Model 70 being my favorite), not all my rifles have them. I prefer a two position safety "without" a lock on safe. For unloading a live round (or rounds) with a detachable magazine or cycling rounds with rifles without a floor plate. Perhaps why the makers design them that way. Quite frankly, the only times I have had a bolt open with a non-locking, 2-position bolt has been with a slung rifle, traveling through heavy cover....a situation where I would generally not have a chambered round anyway. If a bolt gets lost in this situation, the rifle is either faulty, or poorly designed. Overall, if the rifle meets my needs in accuracy, reliability, and handling qualities, I can live with a two position safety that doesn't lock the bolt when on safe.

I don't have bolt lock on any of my rifles that I've carried over 7 to 12000 + miles over 38 ish years along the Eastern Slopes of Western Canada to the flat prairie land buck brush,,, I've never lost one boolit in all those years...

Maybe the old guy was right,,, never put a cartridge in a chamber unit your ready to shoot... That way your at the safest point in life less an accidental discharge if the safety gets bumped off or you take a tumble when you least expect it...

To each there own fore sure,,, our group of folks are chamber free till it's jack a round and shooting time... Safest bet since there's no mistake when the safety is off...

One less thing to worry about when Harvesting critters in the North...

Do what works for and kin folk since each of us find what works best for our needs... That's what really counts...

Cheers from the 49th

Browning just proves how easy it is to have EVERYTHING. Bolt locks with safety on so it CAN'T come up or open at an inopportune time. Want to unload but keep gun on safe? They have a button at the top of the bolt handle for that. Win 70-style guns essentially give you the same options. Not sure why it makes some people mad that some of us appreciate a bolt locking feature. No need to get personal about it (I'm looking at you BigGrizz, post #27.) If you don't feel it is important or necessary, then great! Plenty of guns out there for you. It's just a thread for people to share their thoughts and experiences. It has been informative. I learned a lot of guys go around with empty chambers while hunting. Some on purpose, some because their bolt came open while navigating thick brush. Good stuff to know.

Browning just proves how easy it is to have EVERYTHING. Bolt locks with safety on so it CAN'T come up or open at an inopportune time. Want to unload but keep gun on safe? They have a button at the top of the bolt handle for that. Win 70-style guns essentially give you the same options. Not sure why it makes some people mad that some of us appreciate a bolt locking feature. No need to get personal about it (I'm looking at you BigGrizz, post #27.) If you don't feel it is important or necessary, then great! Plenty of guns out there for you. It's just a thread for people to share their thoughts and experiences. It has been informative. I learned a lot of guys go around with empty chambers while hunting. Some on purpose, some because their bolt came open while navigating thick brush. Good stuff to know.
know your weapon and know yourself...

The xbolt only locks when it's cocked right?
If you have an empty chamber, it won't be much different than say a 700 for getting knocked open when crawling through the bush is why I'm wondering?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.