No bolt lock - a serious omission

Well, on the other hand she had warts.o_O
On the other hand I do hunt with an empty chamber - when I'm with others or in a woods (Pennsylvania) where the hunters outnumber the deer.

But the two times my RAP bolt popped open unannounced and a cartridge dropped I was totally by myself on a mountain in north eastern Nevada. Never saw a soul for 4 days of backpack hunting - or a deer. Methinks NDOW was playing a joke on me when they issued a tag for that area.

I'll bet even a straight pull Blazer won't slide open when on safe. I'll also bet that if Ruger put a locking bolt safety on their American rifles it would raise the cost by maybe $20. Is there a Ruger attorney out there reading this? No? Well Bub, wherever you are, yer gonna wish ya did.

Eric B.

Well, on the other hand she had warts.o_O
On the other hand I do hunt with an empty chamber - when I'm with others or in a woods (Pennsylvania) where the hunters outnumber the deer.

But the two times my RAP bolt popped open unannounced and a cartridge dropped I was totally by myself on a mountain in north eastern Nevada. Never saw a soul for 4 days of backpack hunting - or a deer. Methinks NDOW was playing a joke on me when they issued a tag for that area.

I'll bet even a straight pull Blazer won't slide open when on safe. I'll also bet that if Ruger put a locking bolt safety on their American rifles it would raise the cost by maybe $20. Is there a Ruger attorney out there reading this? No? Well Bub, wherever you are, yer gonna wish ya did.

Eric B.

PA is where I hunt now, what part of the state did you hunt?

Erie county and Venango county, all western PA. Strangely Venango Co. was the worst for hunter population and hunter idiots.

I miss those "Monday after Thanksgiving" 1st day of buck season hunts. As a teacher I hunted every one B/C ALL PA public school students had that day off - knowing most of the boys and some girls would miss school to hunt.

Eric B.

Erie county and Venango county, all western PA. Strangely Venango Co. was the worst for hunter population and hunter idiots.

I miss those "Monday after Thanksgiving" 1st day of buck season hunts. As a teacher I hunted every one B/C ALL PA public school students had that day off - knowing most of the boys and some girls would miss school to hunt.

Eric B.

Well it looks like I too will be in the same boat missing the Monday after thanksgiving as they just changed the opening day for the first time since the 60's to move it from Monday to Saturday, against the wishes of the majority of PA hunters it seems. Between the opener move and caving to the anti-gun politicians to not allow semi auto for deer the PGC seems to be going out of their way to shoot themselves in both feet these days.

I hunt the south central portion in Fulton and Huntington counties, we are some of the only non locals to hunt the area on private land so I rarely see someone I don't personally know.

CMP, Just be glad you still have an independent Penna. Game Commission that does NOT have to turn their revenue over to the General Fund. The legislators constantly try to make the Game and Fish Commissions part of the general fund so they can siphon off money.

Plus the PGC owns a hall of a lot of donated land all ofer the state in the form of Pennsylvania Game Lands to preserve habitat and hunting for all. Pena. Game Lands are unique in all the nation and it is a great program. THE largest government owned lands in the state are Penna. Game Lands. Thank God. If the Penna. legislators get their hands on the Game Lands they will sell them off as fast as they can.

Eric B.
BTW, I still have my woods deer rifle, a Savage 99 C in .308.

CMP, Just be glad you still have an independent Penna. Game Commission that does NOT have to turn their revenue over to the General Fund. The legislators constantly try to make the Game and Fish Commissions part of the general fund so they can siphon off money.

Plus the PGC owns a hall of a lot of donated land all ofer the state in the form of Pennsylvania Game Lands to preserve habitat and hunting for all. Pena. Game Lands are unique in all the nation and it is a great program. THE largest government owned lands in the state are Penna. Game Lands. Thank God. If the Penna. legislators get their hands on the Game Lands they will sell them off as fast as they can.

Eric B.
BTW, I still have my woods deer rifle, a Savage 99 C in .308.

I know and that's why I'm concerned with their latest round of foot shooting, they just had an audit that showed they had a $72 Million fund that the legislature is now using to as proof that the PGC does not need a license increase(even though that is only 8 months of operational expenses and license costs haven't risen since 1999). So not only did they let the anti-gun politicians change their mind the day after announcing they were going to allow semi autos for deer they then ignored the large number of hunters who didn't want the Monday opener changed and now the audit is making hunters even less supportive of a license cost increase to help fund the PGC long term once the gas royalties run out.

Heck there was even a group of hunters calling the governor, a liberal democrat, to demand that he force the game commission to move the opener back to Monday. So the PGC has ****ed off so many people that some are now actively pushing for the legislature to exert control over them. It's like the PGC are trying their best to alienate enough hunters that they will demand the legislature take over the PGC to fix it which is the absolute worst possible outcome.

Too bad other products like the aftermarket Remington-footprint clones (e.g. ARC, Tuebor, Surgeon, Defiance, Curtis, Terminus, etc.) don't have aftermarket bolt shrouds with the three-position safeties available, like the Gentry and PTG are for m700s. Optional accessories like that would potentially make all parties happy.

I have had bad experiences with both styles of 2pos safety's. I've consistently battled the brush opening my action and I've almost shot my truck as I flipped the safety off to unload my rifle. The latter was a full custom build from a well known builder who miss adjusted the trigger release. Afterwards it was fixed I thought about it everytime I went to unload my gun.

I'm a die hard 3pos safety fan ala the m70.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts