Question about new model 700 VS with lock on the bolt

Matt Regalia

I have a new model 700 VS with the built in lock in the bolt shroud. I had started a post a while back about lightening up the gun. I bought new rings and base. I was looking at the titanium bolt shroud and firing pin assemblies. Will these work on a new gun with the lock on the bolt??? I guess the question is will a bolt shroud for an older 700 replace the newer style with the lock? The local gun shop gunsmith does not know for sure.

Matt

they can be replaced and/or swapped. However, my gunsmith stated that all he had to do was to "stone" the lock on the inside where it contacts the firing pin, and all lock time issues are taken care of. With that being said, you can put far less money in it, by just having the lock polished so that the clearance is there, and you won't have to do anything else. AND the lock is still functional (if you even care) I left mine in, and will determine over time if it needs to be done away with.

Matt, we have a gunsmith here in Saginaw that will remove the shroud and replace it with one without the lock under warrantee. He's done a few rifles for me.

JustC, If you saw the wavy *** spring Remington uses on the firing pin you'd want it changed too!

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: Al Walewski ]

Matt, Try Dick Williams at (989)777-1240, see what he can do for you. He does put in a new assembly with new firing pin and spring. By the way, I graduated from highschool (West Senior High) in Garden City, back about 30 years ago.
JustC Good Move! Can't see how the original spring can give consistent pressure rubbing on the inside of the bolt.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.