No bolt lock - a serious omission

I have a Rem 700 action with Timney trigger in a custom rifle. There is no bolt lock. We have to bust through a lot of heavy bush in the mountains where I live. I sling the rifle on my back so I can keep both hands free. It is a real aggravation to have that bolt flip up (gets caught on a branch) and fill the action with seeds and dead leaves etc. Of course when the rifle is unslung there is no problem.

Bolt lock isn't needed. Don't know why it would be.

I can't think of a time when the gun isn't in my hands or draped across the front of me. Carry one in the boom tube, be aware of your weapon and it's not a problem.

I have a Rem 700 action with Timney trigger in a custom rifle. There is no bolt lock. We have to bust through a lot of heavy bush in the mountains where I live. I sling the rifle on my back so I can keep both hands free. It is a real aggravation to have that bolt flip up (gets caught on a branch) and fill the action with seeds and dead leaves etc. Of course when the rifle is unslung there is no problem.
Get a reusable rubber twist tie to hold the bolt shut. I use them on the boat to secure gear or hold the lure while traveling fast. Quick and easy to tie and untie.

My older Rem 700's do lock the bolt down on safe and I like that. I want that. My "old" tang safety Ruger 77 also locks the bolt down on safe. The newer 77s (Mark II and Hawkeye) are like the Win 70s, where the three position safety locks the bolt when in the rear most position. Lots of guns get it 'right'. Ruger missed the boat in this regard with their American rifles. Had to be a 'cost' thing. Browning realized a locked bolt was important but so was being able to unload the gun without having to put it in the "FIRE" position. Their system is great. Safe, but effective in all regards.

I think it's fine some folks don't 'care' if their bolt doesn't lock down. There are guns out there for them. Yea! But it only takes one "CLICK!" moment when it should have been a "BANG!" moment to make a guy (or gal) a convert. The bolt doesn't have to come all the way up/open to be an issue. If it comes up 'enough', the firing pin fall energy will be diverted to 'lowering the bolt' energy and the primer will live to fire another day. The game animal you were hoping to put in the freezer will likely do the same. That isn't acceptable for MY big game rifle.

My older Rem 700's do lock the bolt down on safe and I like that. I want that. My "old" tang safety Ruger 77 also locks the bolt down on safe. The newer 77s (Mark II and Hawkeye) are like the Win 70s, where the three position safety locks the bolt when in the rear most position. Lots of guns get it 'right'. Ruger missed the boat in this regard with their American rifles. Had to be a 'cost' thing. Browning realized a locked bolt was important but so was being able to unload the gun without having to put it in the "FIRE" position. Their system is great. Safe, but effective in all regards.

I think it's fine some folks don't 'care' if their bolt doesn't lock down. There are guns out there for them. Yea! But it only takes one "CLICK!" moment when it should have been a "BANG!" moment to make a guy (or gal) a convert. The bolt doesn't have to come all the way up/open to be an issue. If it comes up 'enough', the firing pin fall energy will be diverted to 'lowering the bolt' energy and the primer will live to fire another day. The game animal you were hoping to put in the freezer will likely do the same. That isn't acceptable for MY big game rifle.
Interesting thread. So I went to my gun safe and checked my Ruger American, Remington 700, Mausingfield, Browning HiPower (FN 98 Mauser action) and Savage 110. Only the Browning and Savage 110 locked the bolt when the safety was on. These are all two position safeties. The Savage 110 has a lot of good features but it is rarely looked on with favor (or even mentioned) in the world of Remingtons. Of course the 98 Mauser and Winchester Model 70 are in a class by themselves.

I'm aware of my weapon and in constant control of it unless I'm at rest. You want insurance so you can throw it over your shoulder and go. Throwing it over my shoulder isn't acceptable for MY big game rifles.

It has nothing to do with not caring if a gun has a lock or not. It's not needed.

When I first removed my Savage 110 from its box I looked it over and went to open the bolt. The bolt didn't open. Great, my new rifle is broken. I read the manual, safety-off, safety on/bolt motion possible, safety on/bolt locked. First time on a rifle I had ever seen or held one with the feature. I figured it was part of california's plan to make guns so safe they can't be used, (that is supposed to be dark humor).

As a child I was trained to always know everything about the guns I am carrying. If I happen to bump or snag it I check it immediately.

Remington 700s and most if not all clones(such as the CA) do not have this feature. I guess if you have to have it then you will not be using a 700 clone. I do not carry a round in the chamber of any of my rifles unless the rifle is in my hand while still hunting or I am prone ready to take a shot. Not have a bolt lock will never be an issue for me.

My unsolicited opinion on the matter has to do with the intended use. They're designed as a cheap rifle to get people into hunting for a small amount of money. Most of these beginners aren't going to be hiking through elderberry thickets in the Rockies after elk. They're going to be walking down the side of a dirt road, or sitting in a tree stand overlooking a cornfield, where a bolt lock isn't much of a concern. At least, that's the impression I've gotten.
I use a Model 70 with a three position wing safety, so that's where I stand on the subject.

The only rifle Ive hunted with that does not have a bolt lock is my Nucleus which has a light short throw bolt and is prone to the bolt opening issue. While I mostly carried it in front of me the one time I slung it on my back as I climbed up into the bed of our ranger the bolt got hooked and would have ejected a round had I not unloaded it first.

My dad carried his 700 for one day and flipped two shells out as the bolt got caught on his backpack once when he slung it and a second time when he was pushing through some thick scrub pines. He went back to his 7600 after that.

If a person wants a rifle with a bolt lock, that should be part of the criteria when shopping for a rifle. Whining about the lack of a bolt lock, after you have bought the rifle , is just that. Buy a low cost rifle, you do without the features you desire. It should be common knowledge by now, but "accuracy" is in the barrel, not what action it is fastened to. Until you enter BR accuracy requirements(if you want to be competitive) the action is the source for ignition and to enclose the breech end, and that's about all the Ruger American does,,,,,, enclose the breech end and supply the source for ignition....

Bolt lock isn't needed. Don't know why it would be.

I can't think of a time when the gun isn't in my hands or draped across the front of me. Carry one in the boom tube, be aware of your weapon and it's not a problem.
Well good for you, I want my bolt to lock, I think it's perfectly fine and safe to open a bolt when not on safety. But when I'm climbing a mountain or crawling through brush I want my bolt locked in place. I got rid of a custom Remington because it didn't lock

Well good for you, I want my bolt to lock, I think it's perfectly fine and safe to open a bolt when not on safety. But when I'm climbing a mountain or crawling through brush I want my bolt locked in place. I got rid of a custom Remington because it didn't lock

You probably childproof cabinets because youre afraid you'll raise Tide pod eaters too. GTFO with the over-lawyering safety crap.

Keep your gun in your hands or sling it in front across your body. Its not an inconvenience it's a weapon. It's quicker too.

So what if you dump a round on the trail some where? They make more 6.5 rounds every day don't they? You should still have a couple in the magazine right... I don't even know how many arrows I have dropped in heavy brush over the years and those cost like 10X what a bullet runs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.