No bolt lock - a serious omission

Litehiker

I sold my my very accurate 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator because it had no bolt lock. I lost two cartridges from it while hunting B/C the bolt came open when the handle caught on brush, unbeknownst to me.

OK, so my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle does not have a bolt lock when on safety, but for competition I can live with that.

Then I bought a Browning X-Bolt with not only a bolt lock when on safe but a button at the base of the bolt handle to UNlock it while still on safe. SAKO also has a similar setup with the button beside the bolt handle. Nice and nicely safe.

But I discovered, to my great surprise, that Christensen Arms does also not have a bolt lock on their pricey rifles! Maybe for a $400. rifle like my RAP I can forgive this omission but certainly not on a pricey rifle.

So what's with arms makers omitting an important feature like this on hunting rifles?
(Or am I just an old curmudgeon about this item?)

Eric B.

Last edited:
I've heard of it being an issue on the Rugers because of their dual cam cocking arrangement and three lug bolt. I've never had this issue with a 90° two lug system. But then again, if I'm traipsing around the woods with a loaded rifle my hands are aware of what it's doing.

rifleman,
You're right about Ruger American having easy bolt lift, which I appreciate, but with that design why not add a bolt lock?
I was carrying my Ruger in a Kifaru Gun Bearer carrier across my chest while carrying my loaded backpack and using my hiking poles in rough mountain terrain. Had it been in my hands I'd have no problem.

Yeah, my Browning X-Bolt Pro with its fluted barrel and bolt, burnt bronze Cerakote and carbon fiber stock is several times the price of the Ruger it is very well designed. Methinks it is at least the equal of SAKO in quality and design.

Eric B.

Well, the Americans are built for a price point. There's no denying that. They're good accurate rifles no doubt. But if it's a feature you need in a rifle of that price range, Imho a Howa is a far better option. Savage, too. It just feels like Ruger threw something together to get a piece of that market and then advertised their cost cutting measures as "features".

Out of curiosity, why an American to begin with? I've owned them before and they shoot great but man they just look and feel cheap.

There are many options.

If this is an important feature for you, buy a Tikka, or a Winchester. A Ruger M77, a Mauser, a Kimber. Heck, buy a Remington 700 and put an aftermarket 3 position safety on it! I lug a stupid BLR around with me a lot, not because I love BLR's, but because I think they are safe (and because I can use them one handed, because... One never knows ;))

I'm no expert, but the fact that so many models have a safety that does not lock the bolt suggests most users do not place great importance in this feature.

I think it's wonderful to live in a world of choices!

Out of curiosity, do you have problems losing magazines when twigs poke the release on them also? :D

Honestly most custom rifles (Remington 700 derivatives) these days do not have a lock on the bolt because they use trigger safeties that simply block the sear from dropping and do not interact with the bolt in any way. Since they don't interact with the bolt there is no way for them to lock the bolt and the old 700 triggers that did lock the bolt required the safety to be flipped off to unload the rifle which is inherently unsafe.

rifleman,
I have owned other Ruger rifles including my Ruger Precision Rifle and a Ruger 96/22 magnum lever gun (yes, Ruger made lever guns for a while) and liked their quality for the money.
And yeah, I confess a weakness for 3 lug bolts plus the other features Ruger offered in the American line like their clever V bedding block which is really a Y block because the bottom of the Y is part of the pillar. Ducedly clever and it works.

OK, so I did add a Timmy trigger and a Boyd's Classic laminated stock and a Savage 110 aluminum trigger guard. Lordy that rifle looked so good with that stock.
I even epoxied an aluminum arrow shaft in the plastic factory forearm to stiffen it, which worked very well.
Sadly it was not until after all this I had the accidental bolt opening problems.

If not for the lack of a locking bolt I'd still have that rifle.

"skills",
Nope, the cheap magazines never came out accidentally. But that is yet another gripe about Ruger American rifles - very cheap magazines for a very dear price!

Eric B.

The Ruger American is a great 'bargain' rifle, but you are not the first one to complain about the bolt lifting or opening when not planned. A couple of complaints I read was the bolt lifted enough while hunting that when the trigger was pulled, too much firing pin energy was used to 'drop' the bolt into place and there was a failure to fire. The dreaded 'CLICK!' at the crucial moment.

I would have been happier if they would have just used a tang safety with three positions: all the way back is safe, with bolt locked; middle position is safe, but bolt can be operated; all the way forward is fire (and bolt can be operated.) Perhaps it will come as a revision at some point.

I do like the X-Bolt solution (button in base of bolt handle allowing action to be opened on safe.) That way you still have the 'traditional' two-position sliding tang safety AND a safe way to unload.

I am surprised to hear the Christensen Arms guns also do NOT lock the bolt down. That's a major mistake in a hunting rifle, IMO. How many people are going to raise their rifle to take a shot, then pause, push the bolt handle all the way down first, then take their shot? And how many are going to go to take their shot and not check the bolt handle, only to get 'CLICK!' when they really wanted to hear "BANG!"

Ruger sells a ton of American rifles because the price is competitive and the guns have a well-earned reputation for accuracy. But someone needs to come up with an aftermarket solution to the bolt lift issue.

If you're a curmudgeon, you're not alone. I agree with you.

I would have been happier if they would have just used a tang safety with three positions: all the way back is safe, with bolt locked; middle position is safe, but bolt can be operated; all the way forward is fire (and bolt can be operated.) Perhaps it will come as a revision at some point.

Wonder why they didn't when Savage has for years. Can it really cost that much? I agree wholeheartedly the X Bolt has the slickest safety/ bolt lock arrangement.

I agree wholeheartedly the X Bolt has the slickest safety/ bolt lock arrangement.

For all the lauded three position safety of the m70, I personally really prefer the simple binary nature of the ambidextrous tang-mounted safety on my X-Bolt, plus the button to unlock the bolt. Simplifies the motions and purpose of each piece of the action.

The ONLY safety I rely on is on my 1911 because I carry one in the chamber with the hammer back. A safe shooter is the only real safety. I hunt alone from a stand and never chamber a round until I am in a shooting position. I never walk through the woods, brush and such with a chambered round unless I am alone. Regarding the Ruger American, it is a low cost rifle but the action is a great one and a fine foundation for a better barrel and stock. I have one worked up in 308 with a 300RUM heavy varmint barrel that I cut off and rechambered/threaded for 308, good stock with a five round magazine. Always looking for someone throwing away a Ruger American so I can build on that action.

I agree that any rifle used in the field needs a locking bolt. I've lost rounds on a Remington before. Heck, most of these companies double their attorneys as engineers. Hence the 8 lb. (hunting accurate) trigger of the 80's and 90's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts