RUGER American Rifles need a BOLT LOCK!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Litehiker, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is an amazingly accurate rifle giving me 1/2 MOA with Hornady's 143 gr. ELD-X ammo. I'm just amazed at the accuracy and that's why I went to the trouble of adding a Timmy trigger and Boyd's Classic laminated stock.
    I topped it with a SWFA 5- 15 x 42 FFP, mil/mil scope B/C of its excellent glass and, like the RAP, very reasonable price.

Howsomever... Ruger gave the rifle NO bolt lock! As a result if you carry it with a round chambered the bolt can easily open and you can inadvertently lose that chambered round. Don't ask how I know.

This is a serious flaw in an otherwise very well designed rifle and Ruger needs to correct it. PERIOD.

Eric B.

2. huntsman22

huntsman22 Well-Known Member

So carry it empty with the firing pin down. Harder to open.......

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  3. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

Yep, that's my only safe option, so that's what I do.

Eric B.

4. Mike 338

Mike 338 Well-Known Member

Yep, more than a few times I looked down and saw my bolt open and chamber empty on an old Remington I carried. I decided that was lame. I'm a big fan of 3 position safeties. Not much you can do about it other than rig something to keep it closed.

5. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

This feels like déjà vu. Didn’t we go through this on a thread already? IMO carry the damn thing empty till ur ready to shoot. The bolt lock is why I won’t buy an xbolt.
    Besides the rar is the budget rifle of budget rifles, they’re not gonna be tricked out with every feature, but they certainly show how accurate a modern cnc machined action with a decent barrel can be!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Gord0, phorwath and Hand Skills like this.
  6. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

This has been a common complaint. They did an extra good job making the bolt lift easier.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018