NM Draw

I haven't drawn an elk tag since 2017. Managed to draw a mule deer tag in 2020 for the Mescalero SandHills outside of Roswell. Tough public land hunt and very educated deer. I had a great guide that knew the land well. We chased some brutes around for 5 days. I ended up taking a younger buck we kicked up going after one of the big boys. We figured out he was injured. Glad I ended his suffering and he didn't get taken out by a pack of coyotes. He had a broken front leg and a bad abcess
I love hunting NM, but unless you can get a guaranteed tag, it's getting near impossible to draw there

I struck out again this year. My best chance of drawing is hopefully a Utah general deer but not holding my breath. Really trying to decide how much longer to play the game that gets worse each year. More applicants with flat to shrinking tag numbers whether resident or non-resident. Point creep. Majority of states have the requirement for a license to play the game which I don't use if not drawn. If you need an outfitter, those prices have gone way up. It all adds up and makes one think ask is it worth given diminishing chances of success.

My college aged son drew a Unit 15 archery elk first season hunt on his second year of trying to draw in NM. Supposed to be a good tag from what I read. I drew a OIL Oryx last year in my first time ever applying in NM. These stories of people applying for 15 years and no tags are rough to listen to!

These stories of people applying for 15 years and no tags are rough to listen to!

It doesn't make sense to me. These problems are easy to overcome in NM with a little research. If you really want to hunt there you can. It may mean you have to quit hanging all your elk choices in the Gila. It may also mean you have to pick up a bow or muzzleloader, but the opportunity is there

Between me and my daughter we've drawn 9 NM tags since 2019. 3 oryx, 4 deer including the tag I got this year, 1 pronghorn, and 1 aoudad. I'd say that's pretty good for only getting 6% of the tag allocation. 😉

Last edited:
Been putting in for 9 years for elk and no tag ever. Oryx 9 years and only 1 tag for off range. Put in for a lot of different units and even some archery seasons.

Two people that just moved here put in for first time ever and both of them got 16A elk.

It doesn't make sense to me. These problem are easy to overcome in NM with a little research. If you really want to hunt there you can. It may mean you have to quit hanging all your elk choices in the Gila. It may also mean you have to pick up a bow or muzzleloader, but the opportunity is there

Between me and my daughter we've drawn 9 NM tags since 2019. 3 oryx, 4 deer including the tag I got this year, 1 pronghorn, and 1 aoudad. I'd say that's pretty good for only getting 6% of the tag allocation. 😉
3 oryx.... not the norm. I can't even draw an antelope never mind an oryx and I put in for the crapiest oryx hunts hoping that helps my odds.

3 oryx.... not the norm. I can't even draw an antelope never mind an oryx and I put in for the crapiest oryx hunts hoping that helps my odds.
I agree. I study the odds every year and put in for the worst Oryx hunts and only got 1 tag in 9 years. But I know people that will get lucky and get drawn 3 or 4 years in a row.

My college aged son drew a Unit 15 archery elk first season hunt on his second year of trying to draw in NM. Supposed to be a good tag from what I read. I drew a OIL Oryx last year in my first time ever applying in NM. These stories of people applying for 15 years and no tags are rough to listen to!
So he drew this year for that hunt or drew another year?

Ed