Nightforce NXS series scope power and reticle choice

tacsniper0888

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase my first nightforce scope. I've been shooting leupold for years so I'm used to premium glass but not ultra premium or the ultra premium price tag so I only want to do this once. Out of the NXS series what would be the best power for long range hunting and precision shooting out to 2,000 yards? I'm putting it on top of a custom built remington 700 long action .338 Edge with a 28" rock creek barrel. Also what reticle would be my best choice. I'm looking at both moa and mil versions. What would be the best reticle choice for each?

I'll go thirds on the rec for 5.5-22x56. I recently went through the same process as you. I was considering 8-32x56, but decided against it because of the limited internal adjustment and the fact that the reticle is calibrated at 22x. The only time I am going to use holdover is at max range, and max range is the only time I'd want the higher magnification.

I went MOAR but I'll be the first to admit I don't have the skills to go to 2K...

5.5x22 NPR1 here as well for my 338LM. Love it! Reticle is very fine which is great for ELR.

Hey guys also what is the difference in the zero stop model and the non zero stop model? Is one better than the other? Do I need the zero stop model? Also what is the difference in the standard turrets and the high speed turrets?

Hey another thing I forgot to mention on the power recommendation question is the scope will be mounted atop a nightforce one piece steel base with 40 moa built into the base! Should I still run the 5.5-22 or can I get away with something a little stronger now like the 8-32 or is there even a need for something that powerful? I would like to be able to zoom up that high on a whitetail or an elk while hunting but what about mirage? What have you guys actually ran into in the field? If I can't turn past 25 without seeing nothing but blur from mirage no need in the extra power but I've never looked through a nightforce yet so I don't know how well they cope with mirage versus a leupold.

Wit a 40 MOA rail, you may not have enough scope travel to get a usfull close in zero with the 8-32x....you might run out of adjustment trying to get a 100 - 300 yard zero. With the 5.5-22, you will have enough vertical to get your close in zero, and enough magnification to shoot 2000 yards.

Just my .02

Tod

I would keep the 40moa rail. I would definitely go with the zerostop, and I prefer the hi-speed turrets. I have owned both the regular 10moa per rotation and the hi-speed 20moa per rotation turrets. They both adjust well but the hi-speed turrets are easier to read in a hunting situation without glasses. It is also easier to keep up with your number of turret rotations with the hi-speed ones. Gary Campbell

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts