Nightforce NXS reticle canted???

KyleC

So I bought a bubble level that mounts on the 30mm tube of my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm scope. I leveled the rifle by using a level across the top of the picatinny rail then laid the scope in the rings and held the level across the bottom of the flat housing where the turrets and tube come together. So everything is nice and level but when I look through it and level the bubble the reticle is visibly canted. I even took the set up out to my gun/scope guy and had him run through the paces and he verified my concern. So is this a warranty issue?

NF will take care of it.

However, I would first set the level on the tube by using a plumb-bob line. That is, match the level to the vertical line in the reticle when the vertical line in the reticle is parallel to a plumb-bob line. Then mount the scope to the rifle such that when the picatinny rail is level, the scope is level. Does it still look canted?

NF will take care of it.

However, I would first set the level on the tube by using a plumb-bob line. That is, match the level to the vertical line in the reticle when the vertical line in the reticle is parallel to a plumb-bob line. Then mount the scope to the rifle such that when the picatinny rail is level, the scope is level. Does it still look canted?
How far away should I set up the plumb bob?

I would do every thing I could to check and make sure before sending it back to them. I've never had a NF with a canted cross hair. Not saying it isn't. I have set actions in a lathe and used dial indicators on top picatinny rail and set perfect alignment then level the scope. Im gonna bet your level attachment is not quite calibrated correctly before I believe it's a scope issue.

I'd bet my money that the scope is fine being a Nightforce.

Numerous factors will cause the reticle to be canted. Stock design, the size of your face/check in regards to stock design and the scope moving as you are torquing the scope down.

As mentioned. Set the reticle level with a plumb Bob and constantly check as you tighten the scope down. Then set your level to "level" with the limb Bob. Follow that up with a tall target test to confirm.

Good luck
Steve

Update…

I leveled the rifle and then shined a light through the objective and aligned the reticle on a plumb bob string. Problem solved.
Once the reticle is set to true plumb, when you dial elevation, does the reticle track along a plumb line?

IIRC Nightforce's own standard is +/- 2-degrees of reticle cant is good enough. That can be good enough for some, but definitely not all uses.