NightForce Canted Reticle ..sorry,, I was wrong

TimeOnTarget

Just got my new NightForce ATACR 5-25x56 in the mail today.

I started mounting in on my new rifle just as I've always done and then looked through the scope to set eye relief. Holy smokes could I be off that much using a level to mount it?

I finally took the scope off and set the bottom of the adjustment saddle on my perfectly level level sitting on the table. NO WONDER!! The Reticle is canted like you wouldn't believe, probably 3+ degrees! I'll still set a plumb up tomorrow if it quits raining and confirm but pretty dang certain right now.

All I've read about NF made me think something like this would be impossible from them. I checked it over and over and just sat their in amazement.

This is my 1st NF and we aren't starting off to well, although it seems to be fitting right in with my optics experiences of late.

I've no doubt NF will make it right, I'm betting they can't help me with load development over the weekend though:rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me vent a bit!gun)

Man, that would suck. I'm a recent NF owner and the ATACR I got seems to be right so far. I haven't done a tall target test yet though.

Plumb bob isn't going to happen today, the wind is howling 30+mph. A swinging plumb isn't of much use.

But I did start over today mounting the scope, I leveled it to the rifle, and the crosshairs look like a 2 year old had tried to mount it. I then leveled the cross hairs with my eye like i always do. The turrets were visible off level.

I'm just sending this scope back for a different one.

I spoke with NF today, They stated that their scopes look out of level quite often and he explained to me just how they look. His explanation was exactly how mine looks.

He said square it up, tighten it down and go shoot. I guess I'll take his advice and do so, But if it appears that crooked once i get out on the range, Im really going to have a hard time using it. Even if it does track true.

I would think that if what he told you was true, someone else here would have chimed in. Sounds like the guy sweeping up the floor answered the phone instead of the CS man. I would at least try to call back and hopefully get someone else.
Doesn't sound right to me if it is as far off as you say it is. I can't see how that thing is going to track being that far off. If you are shooting high or low, you are going to have to make windage adjustments as well as elevation adjustments to zero it.

I spoke with NF today, They stated that their scopes look out of level quite often and he explained to me just how they look. His explanation was exactly how mine looks.

He said square it up, tighten it down and go shoot. I guess I'll take his advice and do so, But if it appears that crooked once i get out on the range, Im really going to have a hard time using it. Even if it does track true.

So what was the reason they look crooked often?

Sounds fishy...

I'm a BIG fan of Nightforce and I've never heard of their customer service people making such an assinine suggestion that anyone work with a faulty scope. They're not perfect; there will always be a few scopes that sneak through the QA phase but what you describe is entirely unacceptable IMO.
Read this through thoroughly. It will help you prepare your argument (if necessary) when demanding a replacement scope.

Tactical Scopes: Mechanical Performance Part 2 - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Please keep us posted on how things work out for you.

Last edited:
Well guys, I mounted it up just like NF said to do. I then took my level and drew a level black line on my 100yd target. The scope matched up almost perfectly to the line that i had drawn when the scope/rifle were sitting level.

Now they did not match up perfect and there plenty of mirage yesterday and I had just held the level on the board so that might have been off just a bump.

I'll screw around with it more in the near future. Waiting on loading supplies to come before i get to shooting it.

To be fair, NF absolutely offered to check the scope out if i sent it in to them but he honestly thought i would be wasting my time.

I'm still contemplating what I should do? Suggestions?

you didn't pay for second best. don't settle for second best. take it to a local smith for another opinion then make decision.

Well guys, I mounted it up just like NF said to do. I then took my level and drew a level black line on my 100yd target. The scope matched up almost perfectly to the line that i had drawn when the scope/rifle were sitting level.

Now they did not match up perfect and there plenty of mirage yesterday and I had just held the level on the board so that might have been off just a bump.

I'll screw around with it more in the near future. Waiting on loading supplies to come before i get to shooting it.

To be fair, NF absolutely offered to check the scope out if i sent it in to them but he honestly thought i would be wasting my time.

I'm still contemplating what I should do? Suggestions?

It is apparently itching at you, and you have had several knowledgeable folks here telling you to send it back. You said you are waiting for reloading stuff to come in. While you are waiting, you could send it to NF and get it back. That would settle things in your mind, and you will feel much better about the scope.
You don't want a "trophy of a lifetime" to show up, and you are doubting if the scope will let you down. SEND IT BACK !!! You will have plenty of time to remount it, and work up some loads before hunting season even gets close.

ALWAYS check for a plumb reticle with a new scope. If it's off vertical send it back immediately. It happens to the best of them, believe it or not.

There are shooting checks on tall targets (4 to 5 feet tall with true vertical line down the center and stick-on orange dots every 6 inches vertically). This check is usually done by long range competitors like NRA F Class because some off-vertical crosshairs cannot be seen with gross thru-the-scope checks.

Do this check at 100 yds. on a dead calm day with the target set with a plumb line on the vertical line. If the bullets begin to wander off center as you click the scope crosshairs upwards for each dot then it is not a true vertical crosshair. SEND IT BACK with a photo of your tall target(s).

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.