Nightforce NX8 4-32 MOA opinions

I have the NX8 in 2.5x20 and 4x32 both in MOA reticle. I have the 2.5x20 on a 308 and the 4x32 on a 224 Valkyrie. I originally bought the 4x32 thinking I would put it on a 6.5 SAUM build I have coming. I'm glad I tried it out on the Valkyrie first as I will probably put my extra Vortex AMG on the 6.5 SAUM hunting rifle instead.
As others have pointed out, the parallax adjustment on the 4x32 is pretty finicky, and for my taste the reticle is pretty thick at full 32 power. This is a trade off in not having it too thin on low power so the balance is probably a personal opinion only. I could live with those gripes on a hunting rifle but for some reason, I find getting into the full eye box with the 4x32 significantly more difficult than with my other scopes (NX8, BEAST, AMGs, ATACR). The Valkyrie has a PRS stock so I don't think it is stock fit but can't be certain. The Valkyrie is intended as a varmint and range rifle so what I consider issues with the NX8 4x32 don't really bother me much for those applications. The new 6.5 SAUM is intended to be a light weight big game rifle though so my intent is to put something a little more forgiving on it.

I was in the market for another NF for one if my LRH rifles. I already own a couple of NF ATAC-R's, an F1 5x25x56 and an early MOAR SFP 5x25x56. Tried out an NX8 4x32 MOA owned by a club member, liking the size, weight, and price. The difference in eye- box, and more noticeably, optical quality, while not bad, was noticeable compared to my SFP ATAC-R. Perhaps it's just my aging eyes. While the NX8 was surely a nice scope and could get the job done, I ended up springing for another ATACR-R, the newer F2 Enhanced. It's $500 more an additional pound, and an inch longer then the NX8 but decided I could live with that on the rifle. I was really glad I did. The "enhanced/F2/MOAR, like my F2 is MUCH nicer with a few improved features and nicer glass compared to my early version ATAC-R... which was my basis of comparison.

Any chance I could get feedback on nx8 eyebox vs atacr eyebox? Been asking around and haven't looked at an nx8 yet.
I was actually looking for an excuse to buy the 4-16 ATACR. I thought the eyebox on the ATACR was better than the NX8, but wasn't as forgiving as I would like. The ATACR also was like looking through a tunnel/tube. I didn't notice an issue with parallax/DoF on the ATACR. IMO, there's too many compromises with the NX8. I also decided against the ATACR.

They are fantastic little scopes and nightforce is headed in the right direction..
32 power is a bit much on this size of optic! that high of mag is useful on a 34 or 35mm main tube and 56 mm obj .. but on the other end the 2.5 is to low for F1.
on high power the reticle is huge in my mind and they would've been better to do a floating dot like Kahles has.
i found that i use mine on 4-22'sh power even when shooting for tiny groups 32 washes out alot and like i said before the reticle is huge.
the glass is good for this size of scope and its on par with nxs for sure. they will never compare to the bigger alpha class scopes because... well they are half the size... so that point to me is mute.
the eye box is really forgiving for my eye so no complaints there
i do like the capped turrets and lower profile of them to improve them they should flatten them out and make them a little bigger around (March compacts have the best turret lay out ive seen) i also like the compactness but they really should have gotten away from the MOAR reticle and designed something new, the MOAR is fine but there are so many better reticle out there. what they really need to do is design a scope in the 18-23oz weight, lower pro turrets, 4-24 mag range, new designed less cluttered more basic needs reticle with smaller floating dot or something in F2. Honestly the 2.10x32 is a pretty RADD scope!! they should have built off that design and ran with it !! 2.5-22x44!!!! SFP MOAR T.. take my money now!!!!

Last edited:
The eye box on the 2.5x20 seems a little more forgiving to my eye than the 4x32. I have it mounted on a AR10, which is PRS equipped. I have used for hunting and target. It seems like a reasonable fit for that gun and I'm happy enough with it where it is.

I do not plan to buy another one though to put on any of my bolt action hunting rifles. I do most of my hunting sitting and waiting so the 2.5 power doesn't do much for me. There are other alternatives in the +/- 5x25 power and cost range that have a little better optics.

Have a 4x32 on a 6.5prc and love it. Rarely use above 25x Size and wt is good. Going to but a 2.5-20 on a 375 Ack Imp for big bears and Africa!
A friend has one on an R8 Blaser in 375 after a Zeiss iC built for the R8 failed to hold Zero just before a $40K Safari & he went to a 2.5-20 and has been flawless!

They are fantastic little scopes and nightforce is headed in the right direction..
32 power is a bit much on this size of optic! that high of mag is useful on a 34 or 35mm main tube and 56 mm obj .. but on the other end the 2.5 is to low for F1.
on high power the reticle is huge in my mind and they would've been better to do a floating dot like Kahles has.
i found that i use mine on 4-22'sh power even when shooting for tiny groups 32 washes out alot and like i said before the reticle is huge.
the glass is good for this size of scope and its on par with nxs for sure. they will never compare to the bigger alpha class scopes because... well they are half the size... so that point to me is mute.
the eye box is really forgiving for my eye so no complaints there
i do like the capped turrets and lower profile of them to improve them they should flatten them out and make them a little bigger around (March compacts have the best turret lay out ive seen) i also like the compactness but they really should have gotten away from the MOAR reticle and designed something new, the MOAR is fine but there are so many better reticle out there. what they really need to do is design a scope in the 18-23oz weight, lower pro turrets, 4-24 mag range, new designed less cluttered more basic needs reticle with smaller floating dot or something in F2. Honestly the 2.10x32 is a pretty RADD scope!! they should have built off that design and ran with it !! 2.5-22x44!!!! SFP MOAR T.. take my money now!!!!
Sounds like you need to check out a MK5 3.6-18x44, pretty much meets the criteria you're looking for in that last bit..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.