Newb with my NF NX8 4-32

I don't understand this thread. When I purchase a scope I expect it to be as clear on the maximum magnification as it is on the minimum magnification. My Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, Leupold VX6 4-24X52, Swarovski z5 5-25X52, and my March 2 1/2-25X52 are all clear to their max magnifications. I use a military optics chart 127 yard away to compare optical quality. When I turn up the Bushnell none of the others can keep up with it because it is great on 30X. All the others are great on their respective maximums.

The first Bushnell 6500 I bought was not a keeper because it was blurry above 25X. I returned it for a refund and purchased another. Then I purchased two more. I would not keep a scope that punks out in the higher magnification settings. By the way the Bushnell cost about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the others.
It's not so much about clarity as it is "ease of use". All scopes are more forgiving of eye positioning at lower magnification. I use VX-6's as well, but, I rarely ever crank mine up to max bc of this. It's just easier to use at 75% power.

I don't understand this thread. When I purchase a scope I expect it to be as clear on the maximum magnification as it is on the minimum magnification. My Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, Leupold VX6 4-24X52, Swarovski z5 5-25X52, and my March 2 1/2-25X52 are all clear to their max magnifications. I use a military optics chart 127 yard away to compare optical quality. When I turn up the Bushnell none of the others can keep up with it because it is great on 30X. All the others are great on their respective maximums.

The first Bushnell 6500 I bought was not a keeper because it was blurry above 25X. I returned it for a refund and purchased another. Then I purchased two more. I would not keep a scope that punks out in the higher magnification settings. By the way the Bushnell cost about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the others.
I agree ^^^

Pretty much referring to his issue with the tight eye box. It's more forgiving at lower powers. So buying a scope that maxes out at 18X will appear more forgiving than a scope that maxes out at 32X if you just take them both up to top magnification

Pretty much referring to his issue with the tight eye box. It's more forgiving at lower powers. So buying a scope that maxes out at 18X will appear more forgiving than a scope that maxes out at 32X if you just take them both up to top magnification
A good scope like the NX8 properly set up will work at all magnifications.

Well, not my experience. On a bench more so when very stable at that max setting, but very difficult for me anyway out in the field.
Then its not set up right. I got the 2.5-20 even though the internet said the eyebox was finicky. I had no problem getting it set up. Eye relief issues are operator error. Threads like this leads to false information.

LRO did a review of both scopes and also had no issues.

A good scope like the NX8 properly set up will work at all magnifications.
Not a chance. Much easier to get a full image with a slightly off head placement on 10X as opposed to 32X. Yes, the full image is still achievable on max power. Just need more of an exact head placement and distance to the eye piece. I've owned plenty of scopes. It's the same with all of them. This ZCO 527 is still the same way… and it makes looking through an NX8 seem like looking through a coke bottle lol.

Then its not set up right. I got the 2.5-20 even though the internet said the eyebox was finicky. I had no problem getting it set up. Eye relief issues are operator error. Threads like this leads to false information.

I shot this group at 1120 yards with an NX8 on 32X. We're not a bunch of idiots that don't know how to properly set up scopes. It's just the way it is. The higher the magnification, the more precise your head placement needs to be to maintain a crisp full image. Not that big a deal. But it's pretty simple to understand. Set the scope up with it on full power and it eliminates most of the issue. Doesn't mean the issue doesn't exit entirely.
0B24E7E7-6F79-4C17-916C-EAF6C2E5A57D.jpeg

Nope. I assure you I know how to setup a scope and the last NX8 was setup by a highly reputable builder that appears on this forum. So, I doubt both of us are wrong.

I shot this group at 1120 yards with an NX8 on 32X. We're not a bunch of idiots that don't know how to properly set up scopes. It's just the way it is. The higher the magnification, the more precise your head placement needs to be to maintain a crisp full image. Not that big a deal. But it's pretty simple to understand. Set the scope up with it on full power and it eliminates most of the issue. Doesn't mean the issue doesn't exit entirely.View attachment 466507
Exactly my point.

Exactly my point.
It's absolutely no different with a spotting scope either. See how easy it is to get and maintain a full imagine on 25X vs 70X when you have to float your head behind it lol. Dudes act like they have magical perfect optics and setups with all the forgiveness in the world. Give me a break. It's just optics doing optics things. We all use them and understand them extensively.

Last edited:
Nobody ever said there wasn't a difference in eye relief at low and high magnification, in fact if you look at my first post I said to set your eye relief at high magnification.

🤣

What exactly is an eye box when using a magnified optic?

The eye box is the area behind the optic to freely move the position of the eye closer, further, up/down, left/right, and still see a clear field of view on a given scope magnification setting and eye relief distance.

Nobody ever said there wasn't a difference in eye relief at low and high magnification, in fact if you look at my first post I said to set your eye relief at high magnification.

🤣
Then idk what the hell you been referring to this whole time because that's all we've been talking about lol. You lost your marbles lol.