Nickel really that bad??

Pretty sure Bertram is now making wsm brass as well. Tried nosler, good but soft, real soft. I wish Lapua would make a 404jeff case or maybe 300rum I could form most of the magnums I have from that.

I have some winchester 300wsm brass that is 16 years old, bought a few bags when I bought my first wsm. It was good brass then, annealed ever couple loadings with minimal sizing and lots of it has 20 reloads on it. I haven't lost a primer pocket on that old win brass unlike the nosler- loaded lighter and 70fps slower and it is noticably looser in one firing.

What's the word on Bertram brass now? I see they sell it, but it's out of stock?

Also, does anyone know who makes the browning cases?
Thanks!

Adg makes ultramag brass. It can be formed into wsm brass. Only issue is the dia at the base being . 004 smaller dia. It really wouldn't be a problem as it would fit after one firing. Seems like alot of trouble to go through to get better brass. I use Norma in my match rifle for 1000 yard BR. They last just fine because I load for accuracy and not velocity. 210vlds at 2775 and the brass last a long time.
Shep

I'm surprised adg and Peterson haven't started making wsm brass. All the saums have been made but no wsm. The wsm has been a much more popular round. I shoot 2 saums also. The adg saum brass is very nice. I'm sure they would make the wsm brass we all want some day. Adg are you listening.
Shep

I'm getting a little tired of using federal brass in my 300 WSM. I've done all the brass prep I can think of, it shoots consistently, but it is super soft. No matter the load I get ejector marks. It's just something I've become accustomed to with it. I'm on #4 loads and haven't lost a pocket yet, but I feel like I'm leaving some performance on the table?
After using ADG, Lapua, and Norma in all my other guns I need to search for better WSM brass. This leads me to the browning nickel brass that they use in their factor ammo. First, who on earth makes it? Tried doing a google search and couldn't find it. I know a lot of people don't like nickel, but if it's better than the federal stuff maybe it's worth a shot.
I have 40 once fired cases right now that I figure I'll give a shot. All cases were trimmed, flash holes de-burred, and sorted by weight. Out of 40 cases high weight was 228.0 grn and low was 223.2 grns. This is pretty high compared to other brass I've weighed so I filled each (high/low) with water to see the internal volume. Surprisingly the light case was at 80.9 grn H2O and the heavy case was 80.5 grn H2O. Pretty dang close! So I took a few more and randomly weighed the internal volumes. All were within +- 1.1grn. Works for me.
So now I have a ladder test loaded up 181 hammers and RL26. We'll see how they shoot. Why doesn't someone make better brass for the WSM family?!??
View attachment 199465
View attachment 199466
Nosler makes 300 WSM brass

Nosler 300wsm brass sucks. It's way soft and if you shoot anywhere near the pressure max you get 1 to 2 firings on them. Not worth it for the price. The Winchester brass is much stronger and shoots quite good if you skim the necks and sort them a little.
Shep

I'd buy sako loaded ammo and use the brass. Sako also offers brass according to their website

I wonder what the end result of soaking plated brass in white vinegar for 20-30 mins would do to the brass itself? I know that the plating would be gone. What I don't know is if it would affect the base brass in a negative way.

EDIT: A little research took me to this extensive thread: http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?83572-Citric-acid-brass-cleaner I've not read more than the first page, but I'm encouraged to try this on some nickel plated cases that I have.
Brownells carries a Room Temperature Nickel Stripper. Directions seem fairly easy. I would want to know what the thickness of the cartridge is without the nickel plating before going to the trouble of stripping a whole batch.

Brownells carries a Room Temperature Nickel Stripper. Directions seem fairly easy. I would want to know what the thickness of the cartridge is without the nickel plating before going to the trouble of stripping a whole batch.
Nickel plating normally is very thin. Probably .0001-0003 per side on production brass. It has to be pretty and slick. Nothing more.
Tough to measure that close on a round surface, but its worth a try for someone interested.

Sako have been manufacturing ammo since 1929. When I started reloading in 1978 it was for a 22-250 using Sako brass. My records show I load those 40 cases 9 times before I replaced them with Remington. They were always FL sized in RCBS dies and none of the necks split even though they were never annealed. Sako brass and ammo disappeared from NZ shelves but it has been back for the last year or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.