Nickel really that bad??

In my fabrication projects I sometimes need to weld on plated hardware. White vinegar removes cadmium and zinc plating without much drama and is safe to use and be around, unlike Muriatic Acid (HCL). HCL will try to eat a hole through you, vinegar just makes you smell bad. I expect that the vinegar will remove the nickel too.

If the Win 'reloading' brass (comes in bags) doesn't last, it's an issue with your gun build, or your reloading.
I don't understand why you wouldn't try brass from the company that designed the cartridge.

If you're really fussy on brass, like I am, you buy extra & pick diamonds out of the rough. That's way cheaper and better than buying factory ammo for the brass(which you'll still need to pick through). Often, factory ammo is not made to reload. It's single use junk. Win reloading brass is different from that.
Seems like a waste of time and money having to cherry pick thru Winchester brass. I stopped using them years ago when I was having to throw away 20% from each lot for the obvious imperfections.

I really haven't had that many bad Winchester cases. I used it alot in my 6slr and it's the only brass for my wssms. I used it in my 257wsm and my 300wsm hunting rifles. I use Norma in my match gun because it's a bit more uniform but have no complaints on the Winnie brass.
Shep

In these times, it's sometimes cost effective to buy loaded ammo to obtain brass.
In recent years, I've had to buy factory ammo for 264WM, 300WN & 338WM just to have brass to reload.
I, too, have Federal brass that I do not like, 3 loads and they're toast. I also have Nosler brass that is soft in the head, very disappointing.

Cheers.
My brother asked if he could use some Magnum primers. I told him yes but wherever you go weather or not you need it or not you had better buy it! Brass bullets powder and primers! Look today compared to 10 years ago will this stuff be available 10 years from now?

I know they had a bad batch of 243 one time where the shoulders were collapsing forming to slr but I never had it happen. I got 2nd place 2 gun overall at the 1000 yd world open using 243 Winchester brass in my 6slr. Other than the necks being a little inconsistent which I turn anyway they have been fine.
Shep

I really haven't had that many bad Winchester cases. I used it alot in my 6slr and it's the only brass for my wssms. I used it in my 257wsm and my 300wsm hunting rifles. I use Norma in my match gun because it's a bit more uniform but have no complaints on the Winnie brass.
Shep
I just bought some Winchester brass in 270 and 7mm wsm and every neck was substantially uneven! I didn't believe my eyes at first until I put a dial caliper on them! I had to trim them short to get them even. First I've ever seen of that!

At 1000 yd I use 210m in my 300wsm the 215s didn't tune as good. The tune window was much bigger with 210s. I do know some guys are doing better with mag primers so I suggest trying both and see what works better in your rifle. Cheap and easy to see what works best.
Shep

I've never had to trim them shorter than the . 010 that is standard. You will get the occasional dud but I've had occasional duds with most companies brass. Even lapua. The Norma brass has been very consistent but it does run a little soft.
Shep

A couple of years ago I bought 100 new Winchester 22 Hornet cases and they were rubbish. The necks were cut on such an angle that they wouldn't stand upside down on a level glass top table. What made it worse was when I trimmed them to get them square I found the low side was as much as .005" shorter than recommended minimum trim length.

I don't use nickel plated brass, but I have seen the nickel flakes in the actions of others that use it. What happens to the flakes in the chamber ? Does repeated use/firing cause the buildup of nickel in the chamber ?

Some say the nickel flakes ended up ruining their dies. Nickel being very hard can likely do that. I fire formed a few 6.5-06AI cases maybe to use for hunting loads. They are kind of slippery to handle tho.

jeMOK2z.jpg

You might try wiping out you chamber every few rounds with a bore mop like in this pic. Also try to wet it with rubbing alcohol to see if anything is flaking off. Not sure if I wold use a steady diet of the stuff tho.

JfvWwHa.jpg

I wonder what the end result of soaking plated brass in white vinegar for 20-30 mins would do to the brass itself? I know that the plating would be gone. What I don't know is if it would affect the base brass in a negative way.

EDIT: A little research took me to this extensive thread: http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?83572-Citric-acid-brass-cleaner I've not read more than the first page, but I'm encouraged to try this on some nickel plated cases that I have.

You can buy citric acid reasonable from sellers on eBay. Shop around. Also once a month or so you can fill your dishwasher soap dispenser with the stuff and cycle it if you don't have soft water. Same for your clothes washer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.