Nickel really that bad??

Ross1147

I'm getting a little tired of using federal brass in my 300 WSM. I've done all the brass prep I can think of, it shoots consistently, but it is super soft. No matter the load I get ejector marks. It's just something I've become accustomed to with it. I'm on #4 loads and haven't lost a pocket yet, but I feel like I'm leaving some performance on the table?
After using ADG, Lapua, and Norma in all my other guns I need to search for better WSM brass. This leads me to the browning nickel brass that they use in their factor ammo. First, who on earth makes it? Tried doing a google search and couldn't find it. I know a lot of people don't like nickel, but if it's better than the federal stuff maybe it's worth a shot.
I have 40 once fired cases right now that I figure I'll give a shot. All cases were trimmed, flash holes de-burred, and sorted by weight. Out of 40 cases high weight was 228.0 grn and low was 223.2 grns. This is pretty high compared to other brass I've weighed so I filled each (high/low) with water to see the internal volume. Surprisingly the light case was at 80.9 grn H2O and the heavy case was 80.5 grn H2O. Pretty dang close! So I took a few more and randomly weighed the internal volumes. All were within +- 1.1grn. Works for me.
So now I have a ladder test loaded up 181 hammers and RL26. We'll see how they shoot. Why doesn't someone make better brass for the WSM family?!??
C7184BEE-D5AD-495B-8172-6A5E8BDE46CE.jpeg

8F473061-3A1B-4892-8F53-4860E0834FA8.jpeg

People complain about nickel plated brass. I think it's that "greatest indoor sport" thing.
I have ~100 I've been loading for my 338 Edge. They feel different when resizing, shoot just as well.

Possibility, but I've never heard "good" reviews on Winchester? But if it's decent I'll look into it.

As for Sako, never heard of their brass? I'll look into it. I can find the Norma in loaded rounds, just buying the brass as a stand alone now looks to be gone?

In these times, it's sometimes cost effective to buy loaded ammo to obtain brass.
In recent years, I've had to buy factory ammo for 264WM, 300WN & 338WM just to have brass to reload.
I, too, have Federal brass that I do not like, 3 loads and they're toast. I also have Nosler brass that is soft in the head, very disappointing.

Cheers.

I've been using the Nickel plated brass from Federal Premium ammo for a while now, and also the one from Winchester Supreme ammo, I have some of this last one that's on its 9th firing and no issues so far.

In the past I used the Nickel Federal F C as well and it lasted with no issues. Some of tha plating started to come off around the 10th and 12th firing.

Both are pretty good ammo options to shot it and then reload the brass.

Hope this helps and stay safe.

The Nosler WSM brass was disappointing. Especially considering the cost. I primed 100 Winchester WSM casses this afternoon. If I can get 1/2 moa and it lasts more than 2 firings ill be happy.

If the Win 'reloading' brass (comes in bags) doesn't last, it's an issue with your gun build, or your reloading.
I don't understand why you wouldn't try brass from the company that designed the cartridge.

If you're really fussy on brass, like I am, you buy extra & pick diamonds out of the rough. That's way cheaper and better than buying factory ammo for the brass(which you'll still need to pick through). Often, factory ammo is not made to reload. It's single use junk. Win reloading brass is different from that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.