Newbie question on Burris extreme scope rings

Snake Plysken1

I am sorta embarrassed to even ask this, but I need to know I installed the titled rings correctly.
I have always used DNZ one piece mounts exclusively for the few rifles I have, for the simple reason of I like how bullet prof they are designed. I also prefer the freedom reaper styles, due to having 4 screws per ring cap. They have been a direct mount to the rifle, with no picatinny rail in the mix.
For my Tikka T3, I went with my first ever picatinny rail mount, with the rail sourced from Mountain Tactical. Great rail, by the way, with the built in lug that falls into the lug hole on the Tikka receivers. Anyway, decided to go with the Burris Extreme rings, and while awaiting shipment I scoured the web, reading and viewing videos and photographs of these rings mounted on others rifles. The bolt heads that tighten up onto the pic rail have always been on the left side of a right handed rifle. When I unpackaged my mounts, I see that the bar that sets into the pic rail has a rounded side and a flat side. No references were made as to which of those sides rest against the pic rail, but it made sense to me that the flat side of that bar would go tightly against the pic rail, pushed forward as you torque down the bolt head. On my set up, that put the bolt head on the right side of the rifle, same side as my bolt knob(I am a right handed shooter).
Please advise me as to wether I did this correctly, and that my rings just happen to have the bolt heads of the rings on the right side. Aesthetically, I happen to like where they fell, but functionally, I need to know that they were mounted correctly.
Thanks big time for the assistance
SP1

Just to be clear, the recoil lug is in the opposite orientation as below? I believe the recoil lug is press fit on those and don't have one with me to look at.

Burris_Xtreme_Tactical_Rings_11_tn.JPG

Just to be clear, the recoil lug is in the opposite orientation as below? I believe the recoil lug is press fit on those and don't have one with me to look at.

Burris_Xtreme_Tactical_Rings_11_tn.JPG

TractOptics, thanks for the reply, and yes, it is in the opposite direction. Using that same pic, on mine the flats on that bar, or you're calling it a recoil lug, would be forward of that pic, or facing away from me. Your pic shows it at rearward, facing me. Hope I'm not confusing things.

So, did I mount them correctly?

TractOptics, thanks for the reply, and yes, it is in the opposite direction. Using that same pic, on mine the flats on that bar, or you're calling it a recoil lug, would be forward of that pic, or facing away from me. Your pic shows it at rearward, facing me. Hope I'm not confusing things.

So, did I mount them correctly?

That's interesting. Generally, that design is made with rings with the nut to be mounted on the left side. I say generally, because Burris actually wrote that in some of the instruction cards on XTR rings

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if it cause no issues with ejection and/or other operations with your rifle. I have Warne QD rings on a CZ550 and those levers are on the right...no issues with ejection.

You could give them a call, but if you don't mind it and it causes no issue, or knuckle racking with the bolt, it will be fine.

No, I don't mind, and actually, I prefer the nuts on the bolt side anyway. On another rifle, my 110BA, I purchased and installed the DNZ Freedom Reaper, tactical style mounts on the pic rail, and there is no half round/half flat on the lug of those mounts, and for aesthetic reasons to me, I mounted those mounts with the nuts on the right side, same as the bolt, so those Burris mounts ended up working in my favor.
Thanks for the help!
SP1

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts