Newbie Looking For Advice... 270 or 308

Xtremetj

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new here, although I've been lurking for a while. I'm a long time bow hunter that grew up hunting with a bow and a rifle. I hung the rifles up for a long time and focused strickly on archery. Now it's time for something new.

Additionally, I've got an itch that needs scratched and have the funds set aside to scratch that itch :D I'm looking to buy a new factory rifle for deer hunting and may start playing with some target shooting. I already have three magnum rifles 7mm Rem, 300 WSM, 300 Weatherby mag and am looking for a something other than a magnum. I just don't see the need for these caliburs to hunt down here in Texas.

I've narrowed it down to two calibers, a 270 or 308. I'm leaning towards a Tika in the 308 since I have the 7mm which in my mind is closer to the 270???

I've got ~$800 - $1000 tops to spend and I want an all weather, go anytime gun in stainless w/synthetic stock. Recommendations? I know I'm going to get a lot of recommendations for a Remington but they just don't appeal to me. I'll blame my dad, he had love like no other for the Winchester model 70 so I'll blame him for my dislike for the Remington. Maybe I should get over it... :) Thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Greg.

I'm open to other caliburs as well. Those are just the two that I come up with that I can easily find factory ammo for on the shelf until I figure out if I like this enought to start reloading myself.

In my opinion, nothing is as good as the 7mm. However i own both a 270 and 308. My 270 is a Ruger American (msrp $389.99) topped with a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40. its flat shooting (much flatter than the 308) and ammo is cheaper. My 308 is a savage 110 (msrp 799.99 at my gunshop) topped off with a leupold vx-2 4-12x40. Its hard hitting but at longer ranges it really drops and factory ammo is much more expensive than a 270. personally i like the 270 more. i shot a coyote thursday at 430 yards on 9x zoom. can't go wrong with the 270 Winchester.

I'm open to other caliburs as well. Those are just the two that I come up with that I can easily find factory ammo for on the shelf until I figure out if I like this enought to start reloading myself.

i just saw this, if you are deer hunting out to 600 yards, 7mm-08 is great! its a 308 case necked down to take a 7mm bullet (.280 diameter) its fast shooting, flat(er than the 308) and ammo is pretty cheap. around $20.00 for 20 bullets. I have a tikka t-3 lite in 7mm-08 with a leupold vx-3 3.5-10x40. This is what i use for deer now. Shot one last year at 450 yards at 7x zoom. another plus is it kicks less than the 308, 7mm, and 270.

You might want to take a look at the 7-08 as well. It has a nice bullet selection and is a little more versatile for hunting. Nothing wrong with the 308, I really like the caliber, but the 7-08 is what I and many others think of as the all around best short action caliber available.

My thought would be the 308 simply because of availability and quality of components in the case you do decide to reload. That being said if it were me I think I would look into a 6.5, maybe a 260rem or 264win or something like that. Also this is just a personal opinion but to me its very hard to beat a savage for the money. There again any of the options you mentioned are very good rifles. So my bottom line advice? Get something that YOU really like and go have the time of your life because that's what its really all about! :)

I have seen 8 deer taken with a model 70 featherweight in .270. Not much long range action with it, but that's just because we spot and stalk and end up 200-300 yards when shooting happens. Thw recoil with a featherweight is more than yo would expect, but still a deer killer. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, Winchester is not the way to go. They are pretty proud of their rifles and ask a good chunk of change for them.

I have never been a fan of .308 but that's because I like 7-08 or .260 rem better. 7mm bullets are awesome, and with the following behind 6.5mm it seems there are more options than you can shake a stick at. A .308 bolt gun will last forever. You won't get blazing speeds but have plenty of factory rounds available for just about anything you would want to do with it.

If you are going to shoot 600 yards, splurge and spend good money on a scope. There are plenty available in the $5-600 range with adjustable turrets so you can hold on rather than trying to hold Kentucky windage. Vortex has been said but I will say it again. My Hs-t tracks very well and I trust it to preform every time. I got mine a few years ago for $400 and it has changed the way I hunt. I can shoot further with more confidence than I ever did with leupold vx-III that don't have easily adjustable turrets.

Practice is key if you want to shoot game at 600, get something that you enjoy shooting and before you know it 600 will be easily attainable.

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new here, although I've been lurking for a while. I'm a long time bow hunter that grew up hunting with a bow and a rifle. I hung the rifles up for a long time and focused strickly on archery. Now it's time for something new.

Additionally, I've got an itch that needs scratched and have the funds set aside to scratch that itch :D I'm looking to buy a new factory rifle for deer hunting and may start playing with some target shooting. I already have three magnum rifles 7mm Rem, 300 WSM, 300 Weatherby mag and am looking for a something other than a magnum. I just don't see the need for these caliburs to hunt down here in Texas.

I've narrowed it down to two calibers, a 270 or 308. I'm leaning towards a Tika in the 308 since I have the 7mm which in my mind is closer to the 270???

I've got ~$800 - $1000 tops to spend and I want an all weather, go anytime gun in stainless w/synthetic stock. Recommendations? I know I'm going to get a lot of recommendations for a Remington but they just don't appeal to me. I'll blame my dad, he had love like no other for the Winchester model 70 so I'll blame him for my dislike for the Remington. Maybe I should get over it... :) Thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Greg.
With such a limited budget I'd suggest going with a .260 Rem, 6.5CM, or 6.5x55 and I might even look at the Rem 783.

Any of those three is plenty for deer at any range you're likely to shoot and there are apparently some great deals out there to be had in the 783.

If you can stretch the budget a bit then I'd look at a Model 70 Classic Stainless in any of those calibers or .270.

If you check gunbroker you can find occasionally some really good deals on factory packages in the ole classic stainless with a half decent scope for 800.00 or less.

I'm looking to buy a new factory rifle for deer hunting and may start playing with some target shooting. I already have three magnum rifles 7mm Rem, 300 WSM, 300 Weatherby mag and am looking for a something other than a magnum. I just don't see the need for these caliburs to hunt down here in Texas.

I've got ~$800 - $1000 tops to spend and I want an all weather, go anytime gun in stainless w/synthetic stock. Recommendations?

Greg,

A .277 cal is an excellent choice for what you're looking for and Tikka is an excellent choice.

You might also want to check out the TC Ventures and Savage 116 International Trophy XP. All rifles meets you're budget and SS requirements.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Thanks for the information guys. I struggle with this stuff all the time, I can't make a decision for nothing. I still don't know what I want to do....

Thanks for the information guys. I struggle with this stuff all the time, I can't make a decision for nothing. I still don't know what I want to do....

Maybe your decision is difficult because you have been hitting all-around the mark? There is a caliber that lands directly between the 2 you listed.

Given that caliber is now standardized, you can buy pre-formed Nosler brass and find a few rifles factory chambered in this caliber... The .280 Ackley Improved.

I have recently become a Tikka fan. I bought a .260 CTR, and love it. 1/2moa easily with several handloads, often better. If you are wed to a .270 or .308, go .308 imo and take a hard look at the CTR. If you are a handloader, get the .260 unless you are hunting really large game at extreme distances, and then 308 isn't the best. I love my .260 CTR.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.