Newb with Rifle Questions

Holzmetzger

Hi all, brand new here after doing some research online. I picked up a used rifle and was hoping to find some answers to questions here.

At a recent estate auction I was looking at a deer rifle and handgun, but the bidding got too high. The owner had been a competitive shooter and the more obscure stuff attracted less attention, so I ended up with what I think is a Palma rifle, but I'm not sure. At this point I plan to put some lead down range and see how it shoots, then figure out what to do with this. But I have some questions that I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with.

1. The rifle has Redfield Intl Match sights and I'm wondering what determines the size of the aperture you use in the front globe? It has the clear aperture without the silhouette insert, but I haven't checked the actual size.

2. It has an oversize Hart stainless barrel that is 24.5" which is short for a Palma from what I've seen (due to lower muzzle velocity). Were shorter barrels more common back in the 70s or 80s?

3. I'm wondering what the value might be. As noted, I was looking for a deer rifle, so I'm wondering whether I should have a good gunsmith modify this (new stock, lighten the barrel, etc), or sell/trade to keep it set up as a match rifle and get a hunting rifle. I don't want to get into Palma, and it isn't practical for hunting currently so I need to decide what to do with it.

I've attached a pic. It is a Win 70 action (chambered for 308) dating to 1972 based on the G110.... serial # with the CR & PJ Heart heavy barrel which looks to be in good shape. Has a figured walnut stock patterned on the Anschutz style with the dovetail channel in the forend for the adjustable sling swivel and a bedded action. Dovetail scope and sight mounts. Weighs about 12-13 pounds and overall is in nice condition.

Thanks for any advice and information.
Jake

Attachments

• IMG_0885[1].jpg
    IMG_0885[1].jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 46
It has been my experience that target rifles that old have worn barrels. Now you may be lucky and the barrel is ok but gee with the low price of a new gun Like a Weatherby vanguard or Howa 1500 why would you bother spending more money to make it suitable. Lightening a barrel is a risky business even if it's only fluting as the barrel dimension's could change because of stress changes during machining and it could be ruined. Ask your Gunsmith if he will guarantee the barrel lightening job re accuracy results and I bet he says no.

If it a pre 1964 Win mod 70 then the action is quite a good one to build a custom hunting rifle especially dangerous game but the cost is bigger than a new budget gun.

You could test the barrel with the heaviest boat tail bullet that the barrel twist should be able to stabalise and that should show up if it's still got life in it .

Hart barrel are great. i have one. the 24.5 inch barrel may have already been set back. it is a little heavy for most deer hunting. has a lot more value just leaving it as a target rifle than altering to what you would like as a deer rifle. you can use a hornady comparator to check the throat wear. or just take a 175 MK, load out until you hit the lands.

Thanks for the input. Indeed stainless likes to move so recontouring the barrel is a risk. I may keep it or perhaps trade or sell, depending upon what opportunities come up. Time to keep looking. In the meantime I'll see how it shoots and have the barrel checked for life left in it.

Put a scope and a bi=pod on it and it may make a neat varmint rifle .
If it sprays boat tail bullets try some flat base .

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.