barrel cleaning question for a newb

Robster80

i gave my remington 700 .270 a few run-throughs with the boresnake not long ago after putting 30-40 rounds through it. switched loads for this deer season and ive shot through 2 boxes of ammo. 40rounds. wondering should i clean it again? i looked around online and it seems some guys clean every 15-20rds and some guys go for 100 or so

Leave it until either accuracy starts to degrade, or you're going to store the rifle for a length of time.

i gave my remington 700 .270 a few run-throughs with the boresnake not long ago after putting 30-40 rounds through it. switched loads for this deer season and ive shot through 2 boxes of ammo. 40rounds. wondering should i clean it again? i looked around online and it seems some guys clean every 15-20rds and some guys go for 100 or so

I have boresnakes for quick and dirty for my plinker AR's

but on a hunting rifle I would never use one. You really should use a bore guide, a quality 1 piece cleaning rod, a good quality bore cleaner (shooters choice seems real popular), a nickel plated or stainless jag to fit the bore (no brass or bronze), cleaning patches and I prefer a nylon brush. You may need a copper remover occasionally. I use boretech eliminator. It has a copper solvent in it. It will let you know when you have copper. Blue on the patches.

Some people don't clean very often. Some people clean every 100 or so rounds. I clean after every shooting session. If done right it is not going to hurt your bore.

rcoody gave you the best advice you will get on taking care of your rifle. Nix the bore-snake unless you have no choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.