Reloading newb

308_Branden

Hey all, I've realized I've accumulated hundreds of once fired 308 brass fire formed to a single chamber. I have always been curious but intimidated with reloading. As far as components what all would I need for developing a hand load for target shooting and hunting. Mostly need to know what primers, and powder to go with. I want to develop a load based on the Berger bullets in the 168-180 range. For reference I love to shoot and hunt with my 20 in 308 nothing fancy

Attachments

• IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I was in your shoes about five years ago I started out with once fired Winchester brass mostly due to it was what I use to shoot most of in my 308 before I started hand loading. Any ways I have always used federal 210 or 210 match primers and varget,imr 4064,cfe223 or tac also some big game or w760 and n550 for heavy bullets. I've had best results with varget and imr 4064 powder. I shoot 150s to 185s out of my 20 inch 308 and my 24 inch one. As far as bullets go I've shot Berger hybrids and classic hunters also shoot amaxs and eldx. My favorite load for target and hunting when not hunting with hammer bullets is imr 4064 under 168 amaxs. Hope this helps and if you have any questions you can message me as well God bless

I was in your shoes about five years ago I started out with once fired Winchester brass mostly due to it was what I use to shoot most of in my 308 before I started hand loading. Any ways I have always used federal 210 or 210 match primers and varget,imr 4064,cfe223 or tac also some big game or w760 and n550 for heavy bullets. I've had best results with varget and imr 4064 powder. I shoot 150s to 185s out of my 20 inch 308 and my 24 inch one. As far as bullets go I've shot Berger hybrids and classic hunters also shoot amaxs and eldx. My favorite load for target and hunting when not hunting with hammer bullets is imr 4064 under 168 amaxs. Hope this helps and if you have any questions you can message me as well God bless

Out of your 308 how fast are you shooting those target loads? Do I just see what shoots the smallest groups or do I need to see what gives me the best groups around max powder charge? I want to probably be as fast as I safely can knowing the limits of 308. It would be cool to send a 168 as fast as possible. I think federal GMM factory loads are around 260@ fps or something.

I've been loading .308 for quite sometime. Mainly in my M1A rifles, but I just picked up a .308 in a Tikka CTR.

The .308 is a fantastic rifle to start your reloading adventure as it's an extremely forgiving cartridge. Many powders work for this cartridge. I'll add IMR 4895 as a suggestion…if you can find it. You may also try CFE 223, BLC2, H4895, Staball match…varget of course.

I don't prescribe to the match primer hype. Standard LR primers work fine. Get what you can nowadays.

Do you have a chronograph? If not, bite the bullet and get the Garmin.

That's a fine looking rifle you have there. Tell us more about it.

I've had really good luck with CCI 200s, but Federal, especially their match primers seem to have a strong following. Stores around typically don't stock Federal, so I stick with CCI.

The recommendations for IMR 4064, Varget and BL(C)-2 for ~168s is solid advice.

Increased velocity reduces time of flight, and therefore wind drift. It also flattens trajectory, which reduces misses due to incorrect range estimation. If you're going to shooting it at extended distances, going after a faster accuracy node makes a lot of sense.

I've been loading .308 for quite sometime. Mainly in my M1A rifles, but I just picked up a .308 in a Tikka CTR.

The .308 is a fantastic rifle to start your reloading adventure as it's an extremely forgiving cartridge. Many powders work for this cartridge. I'll add IMR 4895 as a suggestion…if you can find it. You may also try CFE 223, BLC2, H4895, Staball match…varget of course.

I don't prescribe to the match primer hype. Standard LR primers work fine. Get what you can nowadays.

Do you have a chronograph? If not, bite the bullet and get the Garmin.

That's a fine looking rifle you have there. Tell us more about it.

Will be purchasing the Garmin soon since I know it's necessary! Will also be investing in a kestrel 5700 elite. The rifle itself is an old Remington 700 sps tactical my dad got me when I was in high school. It was the first gun I shot out to 500 yards and when I got into hunting I put a carbon six 20 in barrel on it and put it in an ag composite stock. It shoots half moa with factory federal Berger 168s. It's my favorite gun for sure I love it