New to long range choose my Rem700 rings and bases

coozfever

Hello all i'm trying to build up my rifle to shoot 1ooo to 1200 yards or so but need help choosing rings and bases for my scope, not sure what base 0 degree or 20 moa and if someone can recommend a good brand. Here are the rifle specs it is a Remington 700 lss 7mm RUM I found a load that seems pretty accurate it is 89 grs. Retumbo with a 180grn. berger bullet the scope I just got is the Vortex viper HS LR 4-16x44. What would be good rings and bases for this setup and do I need 20 moa bases to get to 1200 yards. Thanks for any help offered!

No you will not need the 20 moa rail to get to 1200 yards with that set up. But later if you want to go farther you probably will wish you had it. A 20 moa rail will allow a 100 yard zero and add that 20 moa back to your elevation above the zero. The Viper is not long on internal elevation so I feel the choice of a canted rail would be good.

So, here is my advice. Rails and rings are definatly a "get what you pay for" item. A good rifle and scope can be degraded fast with poor quality mounts. I would spend a little more for a solid platform that will insure no movement even after 100's of rounds are fired. I will suggest you go for the Nightforce 20 moa rail and a set of the low (.885 or 1.0) ultralite Nightforce rings. These are quality items at affordable prices compared to the cost of the rifle and scope. You have a good start to a long range rig, so keep it going with some good mounts.

The NF rail and rings for a long action REM 700 is something you will be able to use for many applications for years to come. So these mounts could be with you for a very long time even if rifles or scopes are changed. Also if you decide you no longer need them they are very sellable as used mounts and sought after. So resale prices are good and your investment is protected.

Jeff

On the advice of another LRH'er, I put a set of TPS rings on my last build. For the price, I was (and eemain) extremely happy with the quality. Worth a look IMO.

Thanks Guys! will look over those options . Cant wait to get this rifle set up and see how it shoots at longer ranges.

Look at badger ordinance or seekins presicion for rings and a rail. I would go with a 20 MOA rail.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Seekins Precision Pic rail & rings. Just my $.02 worth. I have both rings & pic rail & couldn't be happier with them! Idaho5r

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.