Leupold Long Range Bases

Working on a Remington 700 short action. Looking for a mounting option to keep my scope as low as possible, but still incorporate some MOA assistance for long range shooting.

I currently have a 20MOA picatinny rail with low QD rings, but the scope sits too high above the stock and I cannot get a good cheek weld.

Lowest mounting option I can find is good old Leupold 1 or 2 pcs std bases and low rings.

Wondering if anybody has used the LONG RANGE (15MOA) 1 pc Leupold std base? Is there any noticeable height increase of a regular std 1 or 2 pc base?
I know they have to get a slope, but wondering if they took material off the front or added material to the rear of the base. If they added material to the rear, i am wondering how much taller it is than a 0MOA base.

Haven't used the Leupold 1-piece LR base.....I use EGW 1-piece picatinny bases (usually 20MOA). I highly recommend them. They are VERY high quality for the money. I also prefer the TPS rings to go with them over the EGW rings, for some reason...

Sorry I wasn't able to comment on the Leupold, but using the EGW base/TPS rings combo will generally help save you some money. You can usually get both for LESS than you can get 1 Nightforce picatinny base for, and the quality is just as good, IMO.

That's almost exactly what I have installed right now. I have an EGW 20MOA Picatinny rail with WARNE low rings.

I agree that both the EGW and WARNE products are very high quality and great buys for the money. I use them on other firearms quite successfully.

In this particular case however, the scope still sits too high above the action. I still have around 3/8" of space between bottom of the scope and the top of the barrel. I am pretty well convinced that any slotted rail, 0 or 20 MOA will be too tall for this application. It seems to me all slotted rails add substantial height to the system. My project is a hunting rifle without any type of cheekpiece to improve sight alignment. Trying to avoid adding any bulk to the package.

In order to improve my cheek weld and head position, I need to get the scope down as low as possible. Thats why I changed my thoughts to Leupold standard bases. Then I saw their 'LR' 15MOA version and am curious how much taller the rear is than the standard 0MOA version.

Wish I could use the EGW rail, just isn't going to work in this case. Thanks for the recommendation anyway.

I used low TPS rings with my 20 MOA base. It sits pretty close and looks sharp. What height rings do you have now?

I am using WARNE low rings. Checking specs for both online, I see from top of base to bottom of scope tube is 0.250" for the WARNE and 0.285" for the TPS.

Here is a picture of my current set up. In my opinion, it is very obvious that the angled EGW base is adding the height. I think a standard type Leupold could get the scope down closer to the barrel.

Attachments

• scope.jpg
    scope.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 42
MudRunner, any chance you could measure the rear of your base without taking your gun apart? I am trying to determine how much lower this base is than my existing EGW base.

Top of the rounded action to the top of the base would be great if possible.

The link you sent looks very close to my base. i don't see much if any height difference. I guess I cant say if I have a heavy duty or a non heavy duty.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.