Which mount and rings to choose

TAMUCOSC

I am getting into long range shooting and have a Remington 700 being built. I am not sure on mount and rings. I have been told to go with a one piece base but don't have a closed mind.

My main question is, does the moa of the base and rings have to match?

Also what height rings should I get if I want to be able to shoot 100 yards and eventually move out to around 1000?

Any info is greatly to appreciated because I am still new and trying to learn as much as possible!!

Thanks for the help!

Inclination in bases and rings are cumulative. Thus a 20moa base and 20 moa rings grant you 40moa. To zero this combo you would have to use a lot of the scopes "down" leaving more up for long range shooting.

Ring height will depend on barrel profile, scope objective and stock used. Most of the guys running a 56 objective with a big barrel use high or extra high rings to clear the barrels and have an adjustable cheekpiece or add on pad to the buttstock to maintain good eye alignment.

Thanks for the reply.
How much MOA is needed to shoot out that far?

I will have a B&C A5 stock with a Remington 700 long range heavy barrel

Also will probably get a vortex viper 6-24 x 50

Thanks for the reply.
How much MOA is needed to shoot out that far?

I will have a B&C A5 stock with a Remington 700 long range heavy barrel

Also will probably get a vortex viper 6-24 x 50

Base and rings could very well boil down to personal preference and definitely have plenty of excellent choices to choose from depending on your budget and application. I've been very satisfied with the EGW HD base and the Burris sig rings with inserts combination. I have not tried the new XTR sig rings but I will be using them on my upcoming project.

[ame]https://youtu.be/wcRAX5OLtJE?t=2[/ame]

A 20 MOA canted base should work for your intended purpose and your scope choice. Below is one of the best explanation I've seen and from an optics SME ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Cheers!

Ed

Tam your choice of scope from my review has 65 moa of elevation adjustment on paper. If you use straight bases you'll be able to get to 1000. The average 300 win mag firing 180 gr bullets requires 18 to 20 moa roughly to get to 1000.

That said your goal should be for your scope travel to be closer to the center of the scope for the majority of shots.

If indeed you have 65 moa that's 32.5 up and 32.5 down approx. A 20moa rail will give 52moa of upward adjustment. That's a long way off. A 10 moa rail will get the vast majority of your shooting in the center of the scopes travel.

If it takes 18 moa with your cartridge of choice to get to 1000 with a 20 moa rail all of your shooting to 1000 will be below the center of scope travel. A 10 moa rail will be center of scope travel at 600 or so and 9 moa above center at 1000 but will give 42 moa of elevation.

These measurements are approx. and dependent on how true your firearms receiver is.

Your ideal situation depends on a lot of variables including bullet weight and velocity. I hope this helps in any case.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Base and rings could very well boil down to personal preference and definitely have plenty of excellent choices to choose from depending on your budget and application. I've been very satisfied with the EGW HD base and the Burris sig rings with inserts combination. I have not tried the new XTR sig rings but I will be using them on my upcoming project.

https://youtu.be/wcRAX5OLtJE?t=2

A 20 MOA canted base should work for your intended purpose and your scope choice. Below is one of the best explanation I've seen and from an optics SME ...

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Cheers!

Ed

Hey Ed, remember the last time you spoke on rings????
Luckily, he added bases into his question so you should be safe

Always full of good honest input. I always appreciate your insight Ed. Thanks again for your help

Mario

Hey Ed, remember the last time you spoke on rings????
Luckily, he added bases into his question so you should be safe����������

Always full of good honest input. I always appreciate your insight Ed. Thanks again for your help

Mario

Mario,

L:DL! It's all good and it's my pleasure to share.

Cheers!

Ed

Thanks guys for all the help!! I really appreciate it.

So what I got out of that is if i still want to be able to shoot at 100 yards and 1000+ I should get 0 MOA rings and a 10 MOA base or a 0 MOA base?

Thanks!

1... does the moa of the base and rings have to match?

Except for rings with inserts (e.g. Burris Zee Rings with inserts) there is no MOA variable in the rings.

2. Also what height rings should I get if I want to be able to shoot 100 yards and eventually move out to around 1000?

The height of your rings will depend on the size of the bell on your scope and how far out it extends. Select the ring height that bring the center line of the scope as close as possible to the center line of the bore without the bell touching the barrel once the scope is fully mounted. I'd suggest the Burris Zee Rings - makes everything a whole lot simpler.

Now - what about the mount? You can select a zero MOA mount or a mount with 10-20-30 MOA built into it. When selecting a mount with attitude (MOA) I usually select the 20 MOA version. But I've recently found that it's less expensive to select a zero MOA mounting rail, install medium height rings and use the Burris interts to get the 20 (+/-) MOA I may need for long distance shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.