M1A optic... which to choose?

lorvan

I bought a M14 N. Super Match.. I installed an used Springfield scope.. 6?-14 government model.
But it is very heavy and it is not so clear as the N.force scopes that I use on my other rifles .
But now it is difficult to send from the Usa a new nightforce scope ( but pheraps not impossible )...
What optics do you recommend for my new rifle, that I would use very often for hunting and sometimes for target shooting?
And which scope mount is better? My one, in light metal is good for the trash..

Thanks

Lorenzo vanni
Florence Italy

I have used several scope mounts for M-1A's over the years. I also don't like any of the aluminum mounts. In my opinion, the best mount is the A.R.M.S. M-21/14 mount. It is all steel, very compact, uses the side bolt, the stripper guide, and a jam screw in front to make a very stable platform. I don't use the side-lever top base, but mount the rings directly on the picatinny rail on the mount. The Smith Enterprises mount may also be a good one, but I haven't tried one, so I don't know.

For a scope, I like a 30mm tube, 50mm objective, lighted reticle. It needs to be as short as possible to prevent long, unsupported scope overhang. A 3 - 12X variable is about as high power as I would use because of the length. Reticles are a matter of personal choice, but for versatility the mil-dot is hard to beat. Some of the European scopes are the equal of the N/F scopes and weigh about half as much. Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.

Talley vertical split steel rings are a good choice because they are very strong and not too heavy. Also, they don't have anything sticking out to snag on clothing, etc.

Good luck and good shooting. Tom

I'd suggest you give some more thought to the realistic ballistics your M1A gives, more on how you indend to use the rifle, and what your personal capabilities to hold and shoot the rifle are.

You can spend $1000 to $2000 on a top of the line scope and mount if you want, but I'd bet your accuracy would be improved more if you spend the same money on match ammo and use it to learn to handle the M1A and to dope wind. (308 is is rather wind sensitive). Just about all formal competition using M1As is done with iron sights. After all, the M1A is the semi-auto version of the M14 battle rilfe and the National Match versions exist becasue they are equipped for Service Rifle competition. If you're trying to duplicate an M21 intended to be mostly shot from bags or bipod that's a different story. I'd expect thoough that you'll get as good or better accuracy without a scope (and with practice) if you're mostly shooting unsupported.
Your rifle should already equipped with excellent metallic sights.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.