New to custom rifles-help

30mm Vulcan Cannon

Well I'm new to building custom rifles but I want to build one. I come to here to ask because I want to know how do I need to go about this?

I want to build a rifle with a style similar to Kirby Allen's Raptor Stalker rifle, but I want it chambered in a 300 Werewolf (yes, swamplords custom wildcat round)

I love this cartridge because it is a rocket 30 cal. I hope I get his permission to do it. I know I'll need custom dies and brass, and hopefully I can get a custom Lilja barrel for this.

Again I am woefully ignorant but I have access to gun smiths who can put this together for me (I know that will be costly too)

So where do I need to go with this? Where do I begin? Thanks!

You already have all the info you need in your post - general idea of what you want ("style similar to Kirby Allen's Raptor Stalker"), cartridge (".300 Werewolf"), and smith ("I have access to gun smiths who can put this together for me"). I suggest you do some "due diligence" on the smiths you are considering and, based on that research, contact a couple to work out the details.

The above noted, I'd research availability of brass and action/receiver before you commit to getting someone to build a rifle in your desired cartridge.

Good luck.

You already have all the info you need in your post - general idea of what you want ("style similar to Kirby Allen's Raptor Stalker"), cartridge (".300 Werewolf"), and smith ("I have access to gun smiths who can put this together for me"). I suggest you do some "due diligence" on the smiths you are considering and, based on that research, contact a couple to work out the details.

The above noted, I'd research availability of brass and action/receiver before you commit to getting someone to build a rifle in your desired cartridge.

Good luck.

Thank you for your input!

Wouldn't I need permission from the inventory of the cartridge? And a full loaded cartridge of a 300 Werewolf to help design the action? I have reach out to swamplord but have not heard back

Additional suggestions:

1. Contact PTG (541-826-5808) and ask if they actually have a ".300 Werewolf" reamer available for purchase by the general public .

2. "...to help design the action" - no need to design an action. The base cartridge, the .500 Jeffery, has been around for a long time and rifles are currently available in that chambering. Norma also has brass for the .500 Jeffery. Do a search on "rifles chambered in .500 Jeffery" and see if you can purchase an action stand alone or whether you'll need to purchase a rifle to get an action. Save you a little effort:

a. CZ-USA CZ 550 Safari Classics - CZ-USA

b. 85 Safari | SAKO

3. You might find the Norma write up on the .500 Jeffery of interest - https://www.norma.cc/sv/Ammunitionsskolan/kaliberhistorik/.500-jeffery/

Good luck.

Well I'm new to building custom rifles but I want to build one. I come to here to ask because I want to know how do I need to go about this?

I want to build a rifle with a style similar to Kirby Allen's Raptor Stalker rifle, but I want it chambered in a 300 Werewolf (yes, swamplords custom wildcat round)

I love this cartridge because it is a rocket 30 cal. I hope I get his permission to do it. I know I'll need custom dies and brass, and hopefully I can get a custom Lilja barrel for this.

Again I am woefully ignorant but I have access to gun smiths who can put this together for me (I know that will be costly too)

So where do I need to go with this? Where do I begin? Thanks!
Call Kirby, you can't go wrong with him.

Additional suggestions:

1. Contact PTG (541-826-5808) and ask if they actually have a ".300 Werewolf" reamer available for purchase by the general public .

2. "...to help design the action" - no need to design an action. The base cartridge, the .500 Jeffery, has been around for a long time and rifles are currently available in that chambering. Norma also has brass for the .500 Jeffery. Do a search on "rifles chambered in .500 Jeffery" and see if you can purchase an action stand alone or whether you'll need to purchase a rifle to get an action. Save you a little effort:

b. 85 Safari | SAKO

3. You might find the Norma write up on the .500 Jeffery of interest - https://www.norma.cc/sv/Ammunitionsskolan/kaliberhistorik/.500-jeffery/

Good luck.
While it hasn't garnered a big chunk of the US market, the CZ550 action is one of the most popular world wide and you can get it I believe with their single set trigger which is the best trigger I have ever touched.

Call Kirby, you can't go wrong with him.

I am a HUGE fan of Kirby and his work. I tell people all the time that he makes some of the finest custom rifles and some of the most bad *** cartridges on the planet, and I don't even own a Kirby Allen rifle (not yet, but there's about three or four rifles of his that he makes that I would love to have)

I tell people I know about a 270 that can kill an elk out to 600 yards, people say "No Way", then I tell them about the 270 Allen Mag. Though my favorites are the 338 and 375 AMs

Anyway, If he'd be willing to build this I'll pay him whatever he asks.

Additional suggestions:

b. 85 Safari | SAKO

Good luck.

550 action may be a good idea. I think this can be a superb long range system.

Send Kirby an email describing what you want. He will sort out what you want or need with you. If his time frame and price fit for you then you are in business and can expect a top notch rifle.

You can take the time and order all the components your self and when you get them all in hand take them to the smith of your choice to have it assembled. Start shopping around, you may be surprised at the ability to find components in short order.

With components in hand there are several very accomplished smiths on this site that may be able to fit you into their schedule fairly quickly. The great smiths will generally only work with top notch components. They do not want to take the time to bring sub quality components up to their standards. The action in particular. Decide on a smith ahead of time and make sure what components they are willing to work with based on the chambering you want before you go buy an action.

If you are one of those people that get too wound up about if you are making the right decision, you may be better off settling on a smith and the project, then turn it over to them to get it done.

Steve

Kirby built me a **** fine rifle but just know there's going to be a decent waiting period. Have you looked into the 300Rogue? If I remember correctly it's just like Kirbys 300AX and based on a 338LM

Kirby built me a **** fine rifle but just know there's going to be a decent waiting period. Have you looked into the 300Rogue? If I remember correctly it's just like Kirbys 300AX and based on a 338LM
Being the owner of 3 each 300wm's and 300Rum's if I were going to build another .30 caliber rifle not in one of those two it would probably be the 30 Nosler or .300 NM. Nothing wrong with those I have or those you are suggesting but I'm a huge fan of having easy access to brass and even moreso the ability to buy factory ammo in the event I ever got off on a hunt and got separated from my handloads. Nothing would ruin a hunt faster than having a great rig, being on the hunt of a lifetime and finding yourself completely screwed because you have no ammo.

I've heard a good long list of horror stories including from some of my own customers about that happening. For some it would be no big deal to just borrow a rifle from a friend, guide etc.

For guys like us however there's a personal relationship with our rifles due to the money, time, effort involved in putting together a precision long range hammer and half of the pleasure of the hunt if not more is pulling the trigger on our own rig when that once in a lifetime trophy comes into view.

On my own hunt in Africa last year I ran into serious problems when the ammo I took simply wasn't adequate for the game we were hunting and being able to pick up a box over the counter to replace it enabled me to take most of my animals with with my favorite .300WM. If I couldn't have, I would have had to put it away because after seeing two successive bullet failures in a row they were not going to let me shoot anything else with the ammo I had.

For me it is a little different. If I have to run factory ammo in my rifle then it is no longer custom. The ammo means as much to me as the rifle, maybe even more. I may be a bit different than the next guy since I make the bullets as well as the custom ammo. If I have to run factory ammo in my custom rifle then my custom rifle just became no better than any other off the shelf rifle. I think pretty much all of us can say that we have more time and effort invested into getting our rifles to shoot our own ammo than we have into putting our rifles together. Unless you are the smith that made your rifle. So in my mind it would not be much different than borrowing another rifle.

So IMHO if the OP wants to have a wildcat built I don't think he should let the lack of factory ammo stop him.

Wildrose,

I think you had said in a different thread what ammo you had fail but I can't remember. I don't want to take this thread off into the weeds but I would like to hear about your experience. If you could start another thread or direct me to one that you already did.

Steve

Being the owner of 3 each 300wm's and 300Rum's if I were going to build another .30 caliber rifle not in one of those two it would probably be the 30 Nosler or .300 NM. Nothing wrong with those I have or those you are suggesting but I'm a huge fan of having easy access to brass and even moreso the ability to buy factory ammo in the event I ever got off on a hunt and got separated from my handloads. Nothing would ruin a hunt faster than having a great rig, being on the hunt of a lifetime and finding yourself completely screwed because you have no ammo.

I've heard a good long list of horror stories including from some of my own customers about that happening. For some it would be no big deal to just borrow a rifle from a friend, guide etc.

For guys like us however there's a personal relationship with our rifles due to the money, time, effort involved in putting together a precision long range hammer and half of the pleasure of the hunt if not more is pulling the trigger on our own rig when that once in a lifetime trophy comes into view.

On my own hunt in Africa last year I ran into serious problems when the ammo I took simply wasn't adequate for the game we were hunting and being able to pick up a box over the counter to replace it enabled me to take most of my animals with with my favorite .300WM. If I couldn't have, I would have had to put it away because after seeing two successive bullet failures in a row they were not going to let me shoot anything else with the ammo I had.

I share roughly the same point of view/feelings as you on the last couple paragraphs. I had my 300AX built because I wanted one of the most extreme 30cals available, which I think the OP is after. My next two rifles I had built though were in chambering with available factory ammo just for ease of use and if I got in a pinch for ammo for whatever reason. My next gun with be a 16 barreled 308 with a folding stock or 30 nosler that's heavy enough that there's no need for a brake.

For me it is a little different. If I have to run factory ammo in my rifle then it is no longer custom. The ammo means as much to me as the rifle, maybe even more. I may be a bit different than the next guy since I make the bullets as well as the custom ammo. If I have to run factory ammo in my custom rifle then my custom rifle just became no better than any other off the shelf rifle. I think pretty much all of us can say that we have more time and effort invested into getting our rifles to shoot our own ammo than we have into putting our rifles together. Unless you are the smith that made your rifle. So in my mind it would not be much different than borrowing another rifle.

So IMHO if the OP wants to have a wildcat built I don't think he should let the lack of factory ammo stop him.

Wildrose,

I think you had said in a different thread what ammo you had fail but I can't remember. I don't want to take this thread off into the weeds but I would like to hear about your experience. If you could start another thread or direct me to one that you already did.

Steve
Swift SciroccoII.

They fly great and hold together excellently but they are just too soft for African game. On both my big warthog and Blue Wildebeest the bullets flattened out like an inch in diameter and thus would not penetrate deeply enough for a clean kill. That's how I got introduced to the Perigrine Bullets which of course performed exactly as expected.

I've also had the same problem with them up close on such things as white tailed deer.

I was shooting them in the 130gr (maybe 140 I'd have to look) in my .260 AR and a little cull buck we'd been wanting to get rid of popped out at about 90yds. My shot was a tad low hitting on the high side of the sternum (broadside shot).

When I opened him up the track was skin, muscle, sternum then shot straight up through the heart coming to rest in the spine! It too was as flat and about the same size as a quarter.

Maybe those were flukes but when flukes repeat too often I start looking for a solution elsewhere. I truly believe the problem is that their jackets are too thin and too soft. Their bonding process is out of this world because they retained about 90% of their weight or more in spite of being so overly flattened out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.