New to custom rifles-help

I share roughly the same point of view/feelings as you on the last couple paragraphs. I had my 300AX built because I wanted one of the most extreme 30cals available, which I think the OP is after. My next two rifles I had built though were in chambering with available factory ammo just for ease of use and if I got in a pinch for ammo for whatever reason. My next gun with be a 16 barreled 308 with a folding stock or 30 nosler that's heavy enough that there's no need for a brake.
Sound thinking. I made I think a real mistake on my .260 AR going with the 24" full bull barrel which is a full bull 1.25" to the gas block then steps don to 1" from there to the end of the muzzle.

It's big, it's long, it's heavy and it shoots great but if you have to carry it very far or maneuver in tight spaces with it, you're in trouble.

I have yet to decide if I'm going to just have it cut off back to 20" or just re-barrel to about 3/4" to the GB and maybe 9/16" to the muzzle end. I had one guy tell me he could just cut this one off and turn in down a bit and flute it and since it's a nice Krieger with very little mileage I'm giving that a lot of thought.

Between the .308 and .260 though for me it was a no brainer going with the .260 since one of it's main intended purposes is for shooting coyotes and PD's. I really like the flat shooters with higher velocity than the .308 for coyotes because a lot of those shots will be at coyotes in a pack hauling the mail after the first shot. When you're shooting at running critters you want all the speed and the flattest shooting round you can have to make the on the run/in flight adjustments that are necessary to get hits.

For me it is a little different. If I have to run factory ammo in my rifle then it is no longer custom... .

Steve
I get your point. My only point is that when you are away from home it's easy to get separated from your custom ammo and it can ruin a trip in a hurry if you can't pick some up over the counter at the local hardware, auto parts, or sporting goods store.

That certainly proved true for me with the Sirocco II's in Africa.

The funny thing is, if I hadn't had that problem I'd have never been introduced to the Peregrine bullets which are growing on me pretty fast.

I get your point. My only point is that when you are away from home it's easy to get separated from your custom ammo and it can ruin a trip in a hurry if you can't pick some up over the counter at the local hardware, auto parts, or sporting goods store.

That certainly proved true for me with the Sirocco II's in Africa.

The funny thing is, if I hadn't had that problem I'd have never been introduced to the Peregrine bullets which are growing on me pretty fast.

I would not have expected the Sirocco to have a problem like that. That is what we ran in my son's rifle for years. I have always considered them the best lead core bullet available in in their class. We ran the 130's in a 6.5-06 for several elk and deer from 100 to 400 yards. Were they all the same lot of 264's that you had trouble with?

Now I just gotta convince you to give our Hammer Bullets a go. I know you will like them even though they do not have a tip.

Steve

Send Kirby an email describing what you want. He will sort out what you want or need with you. If his time frame and price fit for you then you are in business and can expect a top notch rifle.

You can take the time and order all the components your self and when you get them all in hand take them to the smith of your choice to have it assembled. Start shopping around, you may be surprised at the ability to find components in short order.

With components in hand there are several very accomplished smiths on this site that may be able to fit you into their schedule fairly quickly. The great smiths will generally only work with top notch components. They do not want to take the time to bring sub quality components up to their standards. The action in particular. Decide on a smith ahead of time and make sure what components they are willing to work with based on the chambering you want before you go buy an action.

If you are one of those people that get too wound up about if you are making the right decision, you may be better off settling on a smith and the project, then turn it over to them to get it done.

Steve

Thank you for your advice and input. Will I need to have a fully loaded cartridge for the person who's going to build the action? I also want a Lilja barrel for this too.

And how do you know what kind of stock to get? Get action first or stock? If you get action first how do you know it will fit desired stock?

But I will try to contact Kirby Allen on this. He'll build a rifle on a wildcat that is not one of his own?

Lastly, again I have tried reaching out to swamplord and I'll pay money to get a full loaded 300 werewolf cartridge (bullet seated in case and a primer but no powder) but haven't heard back from him (and this was probably a month ago at least)

Kirby built me a **** fine rifle but just know there's going to be a decent waiting period. Have you looked into the 300Rogue? If I remember correctly it's just like Kirbys 300AX and based on a 338LM

I actually have not. Sounds like a formidable cartridge with a parent case of a LM. I want this rifle to be built like the raptor stalker with the black and gray McMillan stock and the 32" fluted barrel. Love Kirby's work!

As long as the reamer is available on the open market then he can build on it. He uses Lilja barrel for most of his builds.

It seems to me you have it figured out what you want. If the chambering that you are after is not avail to the public I am sure that Kirby will have an alternative in the same performance category. I know that Kirby prefers the 338 Lapua as a parent case for standard length big magnums. The case is just very sturdy. We now have 5 reamers for wild cats based on the 338 Lapua case. The brass continues to be readily available, easy to work with, and able to handle the wildcats.

Pick the action to be used then pic the stock to fit the action.

Don't over think it.

Steve

I'm going with the jackets are soft, they look plenty thick on the cut a way. Bullets sure can act strange when impacting/ going through live tissue. Just last weekend a buddy shot an aoudad at 200 yards with a 338LM loaded down to 338 rum performance using 250gr TSX's. Bullet entered just in front of the shoulder and plowed through the back side should got to the hide and redirected itself traveling underneath the hide and exited through the hind leg. Thought it was odd sense Barnes are known for their straight and deep penatration.

I'm going with the jackets are soft, they look plenty thick on the cut a way. Bullets sure can act strange when impacting/ going through live tissue. Just last weekend a buddy shot an aoudad at 200 yards with a 338LM loaded down to 338 rum performance using 250gr TSX's. Bullet entered just in front of the shoulder and plowed through the back side should got to the hide and redirected itself traveling underneath the hide and exited through the hind leg. Thought it was odd sense Barnes are known for their straight and deep penatration.

If you could get the twist, vel, altitude, and temp for that shot it could serve as great information. Maybe start another thread so as not to take this one into the weeds.

Steve

I actually have not. Sounds like a formidable cartridge with a parent case of a LM. I want this rifle to be built like the raptor stalker with the black and gray McMillan stock and the 32" fluted barrel. Love Kirby's work!

Here's mine. Has a 26" barrel 300AX. I kinda want to go 28-30" when I use up the barrel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 19
I would not have expected the Sirocco to have a problem like that. That is what we ran in my son's rifle for years. I have always considered them the best lead core bullet available in in their class. We ran the 130's in a 6.5-06 for several elk and deer from 100 to 400 yards. Were they all the same lot of 264's that you had trouble with?
No, the .260 problem I related before was with some custom loaded ammo from Grizzly. I didn't mention it, but I also had similar performance issues with two big bucks shooting the .300. One of those was a perfect straight on shot with the buck facing me. Bullet struck the sternum right at the uppermost point. The range was about 325yds. I could see the bullet impact and knew it was a perfectly placed shot. on impact he took about two steps straight back and then just stood there, head up and looking around like he was trying to find me. I gave it a full thirty seconds or so before sending a follow up which put him down hard.

When I recovered the bullet I'm sure was from the first shot it had penetrated no more than six inches and was flattened out close to the diameter of an old half dollar. I swear, it looked like someone had put it in a hydraulic press trying to mash it flat.

On another, again some custom loaded .300w shooting the same 180gr Sirocco II was a big ten point standing broad side. Bullet went into the left shoulder area about where the humerus ties in, did not make it though to the inside of the body cavity but turned left running the full length of the body under the skin exiting the left hip.

I can't explain what's happening with those bullets and I' have otherwise always had fantastic results shooting them but I'm up to 5 animals now where they did the same thing.

On my wart hog, she was facing dead away from me at about 110yds and penetrated no more than maybe 1.25" before turning 90 deg again and exiting the left ham. It looked like somene had taken a very sharp knife and just opened it up with one slice.

I wrote than one off thinking it was quite possible a small branch may have been struck before she was and at that kind of velocity all kinds of weird stuff can happen.

Like you I've generally had excellent results with the Sirocco but I've had five occasions now in which they got minimal penetration and turned 90deg or better.

I cannot for the life of me understand what is causing this and as bad as I hate to say it, I simply no longer trust them.

Now I just gotta convince you to give our Hammer Bullets a go. I know you will like them even though they do not have a tip.

Steve
I'm not at all opposed to giving them a try. What have you got in .375?

No, the .260 problem I related before was with some custom loaded ammo from Grizzly. I didn't mention it, but I also had similar performance issues with two big bucks shooting the .300. One of those was a perfect straight on shot with the buck facing me. Bullet struck the sternum right at the uppermost point. The range was about 325yds. I could see the bullet impact and knew it was a perfectly placed shot. on impact he took about two steps straight back and then just stood there, head up and looking around like he was trying to find me. I gave it a full thirty seconds or so before sending a follow up which put him down hard.

When I recovered the bullet I'm sure was from the first shot it had penetrated no more than six inches and was flattened out close to the diameter of an old half dollar. I swear, it looked like someone had put it in a hydraulic press trying to mash it flat.

On another, again some custom loaded .300w shooting the same 180gr Sirocco II was a big ten point standing broad side. Bullet went into the left shoulder area about where the humerus ties in, did not make it though to the inside of the body cavity but turned left running the full length of the body under the skin exiting the left hip.

I can't explain what's happening with those bullets and I' have otherwise always had fantastic results shooting them but I'm up to 5 animals now where they did the same thing.

On my wart hog, she was facing dead away from me at about 110yds and penetrated no more than maybe 1.25" before turning 90 deg again and exiting the left ham. It looked like somene had taken a very sharp knife and just opened it up with one slice.

I wrote than one off thinking it was quite possible a small branch may have been struck before she was and at that kind of velocity all kinds of weird stuff can happen.

Like you I've generally had excellent results with the Sirocco but I've had five occasions now in which they got minimal penetration and turned 90deg or better.

I cannot for the life of me understand what is causing this and as bad as I hate to say it, I simply no longer trust them.

I'm not at all opposed to giving them a try. What have you got in .375?

We have a small 250g for 14" twist like 375HH. A 329g for 12" twist, standard for 375RUM and others. A 395g designed for 10" twist that is shorter nosed and longer baring surface for 10" twist. Designed to be forgiving and heavy hitting. A 394g long nosed shorter baring surface also designed for 10" twist. Designed to very sleek and higher bc. Will more than likely be a single feed.

Steve

Thank you for your advice and input. Will I need to have a fully loaded cartridge for the person who's going to build the action? I also want a Lilja barrel for this too.

And how do you know what kind of stock to get? Get action first or stock? If you get action first how do you know it will fit desired stock?

But I will try to contact Kirby Allen on this. He'll build a rifle on a wildcat that is not one of his own?

Lastly, again I have tried reaching out to swamplord and I'll pay money to get a full loaded 300 werewolf cartridge (bullet seated in case and a primer but no powder) but haven't heard back from him (and this was probably a month ago at least)
I'd suggest yo call look at McMillans. You can spend a lot less and get what you pay for. You can spend a whole lot more for no discernible gain.

There are some "drop in chasis" stocks out there as well if you like sharp angles and edges and the super "tacticool" look.

For sheer comfort and a stock you will always enjoy shooting the good ole M40 stock is really hard to beat. Their A3 sporter is a stock I'm definitely going to have to give a try someday as well.

Precision stockworks here in Texas has a great design which they came up with and they have McMillan manufacture the stock for them. I love this stock and will probably at some point in the future own a couple of more of them.

If you see something you really like in the McMillian line but are afraid to commit that much money without ever even having your hands on one call and talk to their customer service rep, tell her which you're interested in, and if they have a demo in the shop there they'll ship it to you for you try try for a few days and all it will cost you is the freight.

Be sure and check over at "Stocky's Stocks" to see what they have in their inventory once you've made up your mind what direction you want to go. If you have to order a stock that isn't in inventory some where sometimes you'll be looking at 3-6 months wait time.

It's probably already been said but it's always worth saying again. Once you settle on a smith and caliber talk to the smith who will be doing your build about what components they recommend. If you trust them to put it together and do all the machining required, trust them enough to follow their recommendations as far as components go and your experience will go pretty smoothly.

I keep tell'n folks "If you shoot enough, sooner or later you're going to see a lot of really weird stuff"!

Hang around here long enough and you'll see/read about it all.

I'm with you on the jackets. The SiroccoII is a very well engineered bullet and I've shot hundreds of them that performed perfectly. Sooner or later though the law of averages catches up to you and I think that's what happened to me.

Most likely something was a bit off in the smelting/blending of copper, zinc and whatever else they use in their jacket mix and I ended up with some that were basically pure copper.

The problem with pure copper? It is very soft! That isn't a problem in a pure copper bullet because it's no where as soft as lead, but it's a real problem in jackets especially when you're talking about impact velocities in excess of 2,800fps.

I've also talked to them at least once a year for the last five, maybe even 7 years about making higher bc/heavier bullets for us in the .284 and .30 caliber offerings for us LR guys and they flat told me that the owner is opposed to LR hunting so it's not going to happen.

I was really disappointed to hear that and honestly, it makes me less inclined to recommend their bullets to anyone.

I have a problem with supporting any company that does not support us in return.

We have a small 250g for 14" twist like 375HH. A 329g for 12" twist, standard for 375RUM and others. A 395g designed for 10" twist that is shorter nosed and longer baring surface for 10" twist. Designed to be forgiving and heavy hitting. A 394g long nosed shorter baring surface also designed for 10" twist. Designed to very sleek and higher bc. Will more than likely be a single feed.

Steve
I would be shooting them in a Ruger Alaskan 20" stainless. Let me see if I can get the twist rate for it and we'll see. I really haven't shot it enough yet to know a whole lot about it other than it's one heck of a hammer even on the biggest and toughest critters out there.

So far I've shot nothing but Hornady factory ammo through it and I've shot 300gr DGX, 270gr Interlock, and the 250gr GMX.

This rifle does double duty as a dangerous game and large game Rig so loading singles isn't an option for me.

It may sound crazy but I'm really seriously considering building a 375 Ruger long range rig as well in the next year or so and when we get there I might look at the .394gr for it.

I'm honestly a bit cranky with my otherwise favorite bullet manufacturers for not giving us some great .375 cal high bc, heavy for caliber bonded bullets.

Sooner or later I think we'll all be forced into shooting non toxic ammo and to that end I've been fiddling around with bullets like the GMX but man, I hate not having that high density lead core to kick the BC's up and of course the mono metal copper/brass bullets get so long that it's really difficult to get them in a heavy for caliber option to start with.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts