New sniper record

I can buy the first and second shots... but the third one disabling the machine gun is just way too far-fetched for a reasonable, thinking person to believe.

True or not ,, and I hope it is true ,we have NO RIGHT to sit here at our computers and say it did not happen, all that will accomplish is to feed the propoganda machine of the enemey. Support all the troops from every country that are fighting against terrorism and don't make statements that show a negative line of thinking about any action that has taken place..
God Bless and protect our armed forces and those of our allies..

True or not ,, and I hope it is true ,we have NO RIGHT to sit here at our computers and say it did not happen, all that will accomplish is to feed the propoganda machine of the enemey. Support all the troops from every country that are fighting against terrorism and don't make statements that show a negative line of thinking about any action that has taken place..
God Bless and protect our armed forces and those of our allies..

Well said. The internet quarterbacking is incredible...particularly on other sites...LRH remains gentlemenly in its comments...generally!

I think the only thing wrong here is the newspaper.....which is saying much for the times....sought to make a flashy tabloid article out of an event. I don't think it is right or fair to comment on the event based on the poor reporting by the press. I can tell you the MoD would have been very careful with announcing the record shot. I can speak from first hand experience that the Canadian Govt and army spent alot of time confirming the previous record by Cpl Furlong. It was a detailed process. I think the MoD and his chain of command did the same. The release of the soldier's personal information is of concern....

One thing to comment. Most sniper (brit and cdn) are using vector binos that are slaved to a GPS. What it allows you to do is produce a grid reference to the target as well as range and direction. Wonderful pieces of equipment....

I agree with the previous couple of posts. Who are we to say what did or didn't happen and what does it matter? This guy will probably get interviewed at some point and whatever he says, I will take him at his word. I am always skeptical of what the news media reports because they will often either get it wrong or intentionally distort. Let's see what more info comes out.

If he did hit the machine gun on the third shot, I'll say that the odds would have been against it because the accuracy window of the weapon and the other variables are greater than target. In short, it was a combination of skill and luck, not at all to discredit the skill part of it. To even get the bullet close takes a great deal of skill.

Corporal Harrison, thanks for being there and well done!

I agree with the previous couple of posts. Who are we to say what did or didn't happen and what does it matter? This guy will probably get interviewed at some point and whatever he says, I will take him at his word. I am always skeptical of what the news media reports because they will often either get it wrong or intentionally distort. Let's see what more info comes out.

If he did hit the machine gun on the third shot, I'll say that the odds would have been against it because the accuracy window of the weapon and the other variables are greater than target. In short, it was a combination of skill and luck, not at all to discredit the skill part of it. To even get the bullet close takes a great deal of skill.

Well said--I Concur!

+1 Again !

Being ex-military, I support all things military. If it was done, it was done. Nobody questioned Gunny Hathcock, the first record set by the Canadian, and neither should anybody else question this man laying his life down for our freedom. You call BS, your just jealous it wasn't you.

Thank you to all service men and women foreign and domestic that fight to protect us.

Tank Out!!!gun)

Amazing shots, looong ways out. Congrats to the guy!

Snipers abilities equal to walking on water? I don't know about that, but anyone who has spent lots of time behind rifles has pulled off some incredible shots that they probably could not do on demand. I know I have.

In the book "white feather" written about Carlos Hathcock, by the same authors as death from afar series, their name escapes me at the moment. They go into great detail about Carlos' 2500 yard shot. He pulled it off with a M2 browning and a 8x unertl with a home made mount on a moving target and then again on a stationary target! And he used ball ammo in the M2!!!

The authors stated the accuracy of the above combo was about a 6 foot diameter circle at that range yet Carlos pulled off those two shots, I don't doubt it abit.

The british sniper had way better and more advanced, and much more accurate equipment than was available to Carlos.
He also stated it was a no wind envelope.

Unique conditions, yes, good shooting, and then some, yes, impossible, heck no!!! Am I glad him and other similar skilled individuals are on our side and willing to do whats needed, Oh yea!

My 02 cents, JS aka 308

Anyone here shoot a 338 Lapua for groups with a 250 gr SMK loaded to 3000 fps at ranged past 2200 yards????

Anyone ever see a bullet from a combo like this hit even remotely close to where it was aimed at ranges past 2500 yards??

I am the first to support these amazing gunners and thank them for all they do for us but I think the media is making this story a bit to amazing to be 100% honest.

Just like the 50 BMG sniper from Canada, he fully admitted that several ranging shots had to be made before he made contact with the target.

Just a couple red flags reading this story. Certainly not from the boys in the field. If they had their way, we would likely never hear about these things as they are 100% professionals, to bad we can not say the same for the **** media that just put his family in harms way.

I want to be very clear that I am in no way saying that this sniper did not make a kill at this range. Nothing of that kind at all.

We all just know that consistancy goes to hell as the bullet drops out of super sonic velocity. perhaps that is the reason the comment about luck was used.

I assure you, if someone was setting up a machine gun position at 2700 yards from me and I only had a 338 Lapua, I would also be throwing lead in that direction even though I knew the limits of my weapon.

Just wanted to make sure my opinion was clear here.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.