New scope issue

Why is switching to a 0 MOA rail not an option? Remove the screws and the rail will come off. Kelbly makes them in both heights. Unless you plan on shooting long distances, where you'll need a considerable amount of elevation, call them and ask if you can swap it for a 0 rail. The other option is to use Signature rings and the inserts to give you what you need.

If it's not the scope. A "0" moa base would give you 13 moa extra on the bottom, a 10 moa (if available would give you 3 and still have almost all of your vertical for distance.

I purchased a Nightforce NX8 for my 280 Ai and even with the adjustment completely bottomed out I am still 7 inches high at 100 yards. The rifle action has a pinned 20moa rail so switching to a 0 MOA rail is not an option. I am going to put it on another rifle and will be purchasing another scope. I'm looking at a Zeiss V6 but I'm concerned I will have the same issue. Anyone else ever experienced this and if so how did you work around it?
What the others say plus remember that there ARE bad, brand-name, brand-new scopes! In my lifetime Uve seen 4 of them. I've seen TWO famous-name scopes this year alone that were junk new, out of the box. Both manufacturers replaced them - no wuestions asked! (I suspect they see this more than we may know)
The worst I ever saw -that still worked fine afterwards was 8 feet low and 20 feet left @ less than 100 yards. Good luck!

From looking at the geometry of the action, it looks like there is no difference in elevation from the front and rear of the action. If the base was backwards, it would angle the scope up, not down, and he would be running out of "up" adjustment, not running out of down adjustment, and would be hitting low, not high. So that isn't the issue.

Possibly the rear ring did not fully seat, making the rear set higher? Or like someone else stated, the front and rear rings don't match in hieght, with the rear being higher.

A different scope likely won't help or fix the problem, that scope has a lot of adjustment. And also, even if another scope had enough to dial, it's not a good idea for reliability purposes to have a scope cranked all the way down to the bottom of its adjustments, it can weaken the tube erector spring/springs, and also adds shadowing when looking through the scope on low power, not an optimal set up. It's better to find the issue and resolve it.

I would start by measuring the rail and rings to see if they are in spec, if they are, then see how much total adjustment is in your scope, and make sure it matches factory specs. If all that checks out, then it is something else going on with your rifle likely, and you could either have your smith look at it and fix it, or as stated, get a set of Burris XTR Signature rings, they can give you up to 40 MOA more adjustment, which would get you zeroed with some room to spare.

That is how I would go about it.

Why is switching to a 0 MOA rail not an option? Remove the screws and the rail will come off. Kelbly makes them in both heights. Unless you plan on shooting long distances, where you'll need a considerable amount of elevation, call them and ask if you can swap it for a 0 rail. The other option is to use Signature rings and the inserts to give you what you need.
He said the rail is pinned in place, probably not as simple as removing screws.

I just remembered a barrel I had. It was bent! Carefully look through it and and see if it is perfectly round or has even the slightest oval look. Mine hit about a foot and a half left after bore sighting. Normally bore sighting puts the bullet with in four inches of center at 100 yards.

1) Does gun group ok? If so barrel probably ok

2) if you crank up scope 40 MOA or so and shoot at 100 yards is it roughly 47 inches high? (Need tall board/target) If so scope probably fine.

3) Get some insert rings and be done with everything!! Simplest approach in my mind.

Otherwise prepare to change rails, scopes, etc and chase your tail longer!!

Good Luck.

BTW , Burris insert rings have made my life much simpler when I ve tried to maximize my 'Up' for LR shooting.

I had a similar issue, but in my case the bullet was hitting so far to the right, I ran out of scope adjustment.

Verified problem was with the rifle with another known good scope/rings.

Sent back to manufacturer twice before they agreed the gun was junk. They destroyed it and sent a new one.

I purchased a Nightforce NX8 for my 280 Ai and even with the adjustment completely bottomed out I am still 7 inches high at 100 yards. The rifle action has a pinned 20moa rail so switching to a 0 MOA rail is not an option. I am going to put it on another rifle and will be purchasing another scope. I'm looking at a Zeiss V6 but I'm concerned I will have the same issue. Anyone else ever experienced this and if so how did you work around it?
Start out with the easiest thing to do: click count center your scope (windage and elevation) and then swap the rings front to back. If that works great! Go shooting. If not, do the next easiest (cheapest) thing: put a known scope on the rifle (same rings) and see if that's the solution. The reason to not do that first is the scope on the other rifle was doing great on that one...why mess up a good thing. You could also swap the "problem scope to a known good rifle ,ring, mount/rail as another reader has suggested. Just think it through and do one thing after another in a logical progression ruling out the easiest stuff first..

Best of luck!

Start out with the easiest thing to do: click count center your scope (windage and elevation) and then swap the rings front to back. If that works great! Go shooting. If not, do the next easiest (cheapest) thing: put a known scope on the rifle (same rings) and see if that's the solution. The reason to not do that first is the scope on the other rifle was doing great on that one...why mess up a good thing. You could also swap the "problem scope to a known good rifle ,ring, mount/rail as another reader has suggested. Just think it through and do one thing after another in a logical progression ruling out the easiest stuff first..

Best of luck,

Best of luck,

zero stop or over torqued rings not allowing proper movement?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.