New scope issue

Texas89

I purchased a Nightforce NX8 for my 280 Ai and even with the adjustment completely bottomed out I am still 7 inches high at 100 yards. The rifle action has a pinned 20moa rail so switching to a 0 MOA rail is not an option. I am going to put it on another rifle and will be purchasing another scope. I'm looking at a Zeiss V6 but I'm concerned I will have the same issue. Anyone else ever experienced this and if so how did you work around it?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are dialing it the correct direction, right? Sometimes it's as simple as that, getting things switched around in your head--I had to talk an experienced shooter through adjusting the sights on his pistol the other day, and he was like, "oh, yeah...duh!"

I think you got some thing else going on besides the scope, but I just looked on Kelby's sight they make a 0 m.o.a rail.

Might check and make sure your zero stop is backed out
Had this happen recently with a buddy. Bought a $2000 scope and couldn't get it to zero, didn't read the instruction manual either. :D
Even if all is well and with 100 moa of travel this can happen. With your setup I might try some of the Burris XTR signature rings with inserts. Trying another scope isn't a bad idea if it serves you well on the rifle in question. However the Zeiss won't have near the adjustment range as the NightForce.

Kelbly Atlas Tac action w. 20MOA rail should not make any scope unable to zero.
Has to be something with the zero stop. It is a 110MOA elevation dial, so at center, you should have 55MOA up/down. Even on a 20MOA rail, you should still have 35MOA+/- down. 7" high @ 100 yards is only 7MOA. Still should have 28MOA to play with.

But, Did you double check/measure the rings to make sure they are identical? Sounds weird, but maybe you got a .87" & .92"? Or do you have a 20MOA mount on a 20MOA base? You still should have 8 MOA+/- down though.

Last edited:
I've had a Leupold with almost that much elevation not zero @ 100 with a 20moa rail. This was a rifle built on a trued 700 action, by a very popular/accomplished gun builder on this site. Things just don't work how we want sometimes.

I've had a Leupold with almost that much elevation not zero @ 100 with a 20moa rail. This was a rifle built on a trued 700 action, by a very popular/accomplished gun builder on this site. Things just don't work how we want sometimes.
Agreed, but 90% of the time in situations like this it is simple, something overlooked, something cockeyed.
Anomalies are not the norm.

Maybe Kelby pinned the rail the wrong way and your at negative 20... Haha
Who knows....
Put the scope on another rifle and see if it zeros... If it does not, send it back to nightforce for a replacement. If it does, then you know the issue isn't your scope.... Sounds like you either have a scope that wasn't set centered or a problem with your rail.

+1 on Signature rings with inserts... use 10 MOA and you ll you'll have roughly 3 MOA not useable in your scope which is minimal !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.