scope issue...

emn83

hey all,

took my rifle down to the basement today for some dry-fire practice, cranked it back to 6x and noticed an issue with the lens.
0713131444_zps38efa2b0.jpg

there are actually 2 more dots, obscured by the light, right near the vertical crosshair, one near the 5moa mark, a little to the right, and one near the 10moa mark, a little to the left.

In my defense, the reason I didn't see this before is that, at 12x and higher, it's not as distinct...and I normakky have it at 12x, shooting 300-500 yards at the local range...I only really crank it back for dry fire in the basement....I didn't even know the issue was there, but looking back, I've been having some issues finding good focus, and this might be part of it.

The scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24, and I'm planning on calling up Vortex on Monday and getting things figured out. Only problem is that there's a competition in 2 weeks...trying to decide whether to send it in right away, and possibly forgo the competition, or wait, and risk having a more serious issue come up.

so, 2 questions,

1. what do you think it is?

2. send it in now or wait till later? (note, I have no issue missing the competition, it would suck, but with ammo availability, it's not as sucky as it would have been a year ago)

Looks like moisture on the lens. Probably a bad seal. Call them and see what they can do for you. I'd run it through its paces and passes then wait to send it in. .

Looks like moisture on the lens. Probably a bad seal. Call them and see what they can do for you. I'd run it through its paces and passes then wait to send it in. .

That's what I was thinking, the fact that it didn't move at all when I tapped the scope kinda confused me, figured it would move around a little

If its working-use it. It might fail at your shoot, but that might make the problem(s) more identifiable, and fixable.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts