New scope, for a new rifle!

W.TX-hunter21

Hello every buddy! Kind of new to the whole long range thing, but not new to shooting or hunting. I have just bought a new pack/truck rifle the other day and just wanted input I guess. I am really considering the Vortex PST 6.5-24x50 ffp for this rifle. Caliber is .308 main usage is hunting anything in the south, and an occasional range/long distance practice.
I would like to learn more then just the basic Kentucky windage and comfortable shooting distance of 400yds and closer! I have always relied on my weavers, nikons, bushnells, leupolds for these kinds of hunting/practicing ever since i was a kid, but now i would like to do more, so before I take the plunge on this scope just wondering the thoughts?

All things considered, that is a pretty good scope. It would go well on your rifle. The key is making sure you know how to re-set the zero once it's sighted in and then using a ballistic calculator (like the on on this site) to help predict your trajectory. The PST is good and Vortex has great customer service.

Thanks jpd676 for your feed back! I was just looking for opinions on a far better scope then what I'm used too, sfp scopes with not a lot power, optics are so so, just good enough ones to do the job they were intended for!

Vortex seems really well made, all the features seem first class, the reviews are awesome to say the least, and the price doesn't brake the bank too much! I only wish I could handle one before I bought, but just don't have that luxury, so I think I have exhausted all my resources as far research goes so I will be taking the plunge next week and do a review with the rifle, scope, and all hardware used for break in! Thanks again.

I would still welcome opinions before the big plunge if anybody has any more ideas based on this earlier reading of the type of scope that would be needed for the use intended nothing more or less.

I have had that scope and highly recommend it. My buddy has one 6-24x50ffp on his Tikka Super Varmit .308 and we have taken it out to 1140 yards. Should do everything you speak of and then some...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.