New Scope and New Rifle

I personally check everything about the rifle making sure barrel is floated, stock screws have been torqued properly, trigger adjustments then move on up to scope base with a good quality scope base adding locktite to the screws tightening to spec with an inch pound wrench. Add quality scope rings and make sure they are aligned properly check with a lapping tool and lap rings if necessary. Place scope in rings level scope with a leveling kit, tightening scope rings alternately. I buy 5 boxes of quality factory ammo with the bullet weight I plan on shooting and begin sighting the scope while I am lap firing the rifle. Sometimes you will find a unicorn that will shoot bullet holes with factory ammo or acceptable groups depending on your personal needs. If you don't you're on the best website to get good sound and safe reloading advice. Good luck and have fun with the process!

Hi Guys,

I have a question and would like to see some responses, what do you do when you have a new scope and Rifle with regards to load development?

So first time mounting Scope on new Rifle, how do you start a load ? that also needs to sight in the scope? Do you use factory ammo or do you load a certain safe start load from reloading data of company?

just for interest sake I have always wondered what people do in these circumstances.
Some off the shelf rifles go seriously well on factory ammo, our son brought a budget A7 Sako where it shoots 1/2 MOA all day long with almost any factory ammo. Other rifles you'd be doing load development all night long.

My number one rule on sighting in a new rifle is not to use a new scope right away. Use a scope you have that you know is reliable. I keep several just for doing this. The reason is with a reliable scope you can get an idea how the rifle shoots. If you use a new scope and are having trouble sighting it one,how do you know that the scope is not at fault? You don`t. By using a tried ,reliable scope.you have eliminated that problem. If it shoots fairly good,then put your new scope on and sight it in.
I never get rid of dies or brass for cartridges I shoot. Any rifle I buy or build will be a caliber and cartridge I already have. I will use data I already have to load for a new,different rifle. Of course if you are a guy who must jump on the band wagon for every "new cartridge"that comes out you will need to buy ammo to start out with..I like to bore sight by eyeball. I seem to get on paper right away doing that.
There are several pre shooting checks I go through. #1 make sure that action does not rock in stock. If it does ,bedding will be needed. Torque action into stock. #2 clean all oil out of scope mounting holes and scope mounts. Torque scope mounts to receiver . #3 check rings alinement. I use Burris Signature rings ..#4 Torque rings to scope body.
Have at it.
My shooting pal/GS uses the same 12x42 NF for most load development.
Reliable and no spotting scope required