New Rifle. Utterly horrific chamber...UPDATED 4/19/20

Heres a little tip! ...Any problems are the stores until you sign the papers and pay the bill. Much easier to walk away from a *** gun than fight a manufacturer to fix it
Ordered online, and picked up at local FFL. I looked it over, and ran the action, but I must admit, I never looked carefully into the chamber.
lol that's nothing. Check this out....The worst part, my smith told me that was the second one he had fixed like that in the last couple months.
Not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Is that a big triangular chip out of the breach face at about 1 o'clock?

Seems like a dangerous situation to me. Those gouges are causing weak spots in the brass. How was the accuracy?
I definitely won't be reloading those brass again.

Accuracy was meh. Shot 4 x 3 shot groups, which average about 1.25 MOA. To be fair though, I didn't give it the best chance. Was near dark, wasn't using my best scope, and I just threw together some ammo at SAAMI length to get baseline velocity data for a couple charge weights.

Figured I'd post up my sorrows. I'll refrain from mentioning the name until I have some feedback from the manufacturer...

Rifle is brand new, upper end of their line (over $1100 MSRP). I picked it up this afternoon and took it straight to my wheat field. 6 hours later, it's going in the box to be sent back to the mothership.

Noticed that I was having weird "gritty" extraction, but chalked it up to no lube on the bolt. Nope...

When I got home and looked at the brass in good light, I found this...

View attachment 159337

View attachment 159338

There's a pair of horrific burrs near the breach face, which caused the nasty gouges you can see at the base of the brass above the belt.

As you can also see, there's more rings than a tree. They're clearly visible with the naked eye, and so pronounced that they're marking up the brass from base to shoulder.

This seems WAY beyond "Monday Morning Manufacture". I swabbed the barrel before shooting it, and it was clearly test fired (also some soot on the muzzle brake). I can't believe their tooling could even produce something this awful, LET ALONE that their QC would let something like this escape out in the wild to be sold to some poor sucker like me...

Needless to say, I'm pretty freeking bummed right now. :(
I wonder if it is not a Ruger? I swore Ruger Rifles off, last one I bought was rugh as a cobb, the bolt face looked like a drunk did it with a drimel tool, called them up then sent photos to them and they told me it was good to go.
As a Gunsmith I would be embarrassed to even have anyone see work like that much less leave my shop looking like that, Sold that pile and bought (long story of why I bought instead of built) a Savage, it is superbly accurate, smooth, and looks good, Savage takes a lot more pride in their product it seems than Ruger, at least in my opinion.

I wonder if it is not a Ruger? I swore Ruger Rifles off, last one I bought was rugh as a cobb, the bolt face looked like a drunk did it with a drimel tool, called them up then sent photos to them and they told me it was good to go.
As a Gunsmith I would be embarrassed to even have anyone see work like that much less leave my shop looking like that, Sold that pile and bought (long story of why I bought instead of built) a Savage, it is superbly accurate, smooth, and looks good, Savage takes a lot more pride in their product it seems than Ruger, at least in my opinion.
He plainly said it is a Savage. I've never had any issues with my Rugers, and I have had several.

Hate you experienced that, Lemons or Lazy employees in every facet of life. Cars, trucks, computers and on and on. Good luck getting problem resolved

I could probably do that myself, but I'm concerned about what else could be jacked up (concentricity, throat, etc), and I'm pretty sure any gunsmithing, home or otherwise, would void my warranty.

Before taking matters into my own hands, I'll give them the chance to make it right. Well, I doubt they will do anything to make up for the gutted feeling they've caused, but perhaps they will at least get it fixed quickly at no expense...
Take/Send it back and get a refund! Buy one you can examine first, Like in person!

That chamber is definitely sub standard for any chamber and needs to go back.

I don't recommend any polishing or attempt to improve it or you will lose the warranty.

The operator definitely did not know what he was doing or he would have noticed that the reamer had damaged cutting surfaces and the reamer was not being flushed well enough. l

Looking at the fired cases will normally show how nice the chamber is. The cases should not have any marks or rings and should look perfect when fired.

I would also recommend that you place a small scratch or punch mark somewhere hidden so they don't polish the chamber and sent you the same barrel back. This happens more often than you would think. (Polishing a chamber can change the dimensions and in some cases make extraction harder).

J E CUSTOM

I'd ask if that rifle was new? Having been fired wonder if Bubba had stuck a case. He used a screw driver for a stuck case remover.

My experience with Savage has been with rimfires. I was treated very well. I'd call Savage on your rifle. In the past they have paid shipping both ways. Give Savage a chance at making the rifle right. You can put a bad spin on the deal by letting somebody else work on it first.

Added: Looks two of my Savage's here. That don't mean anything there's been forty dozen changes to those receivers.

Last edited:
That wasn't the O.P. that said it was a savage. However, I would also guess it to be a Savage, and I'm pretty certain it isn't a Ruger looking at the receiver, but I am not the O.P., nor is the person that replied in post #3. The O.P. was wanting to wait to state the manufacturer until the situation has been resolved.

I stand by what I say. Before anybody else touches that rifle give the maker a chance resolve the barrel problem. Having a shipping ticket sent is getting to be more common. I still ask if this were a new rifle. Those gouges look suspiciously aftermarket. Also, it would be good to go to rifle maker directly. Also, don't call them in a rage especially if it's a woman.

I see a tremendous improvement in Savage quality since my old Savage 110FP was made. That rifle has been used successfully in local lead bullet matches. Tupperware stock and all.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts