New Rifle. Utterly horrific chamber...UPDATED 4/19/20

I'd ask if that rifle was new? Having been fired wonder if Bubba had stuck a case. He used a screw driver for a stuck case remover.

My experience with Savage has been with rimfires. I was treated very well. I'd call Savage on your rifle. In the past they have paid shipping both ways. Give Savage a chance at making the rifle right. You can put a bad spin on the deal by letting somebody else work on in first.

Anything is possible, but the annular rings were done at the factory, If by chance it did have a stuck case and was removed wrong, the annular rings can/did contribute to stuck cases greatly.

I have set back chambers that had this problem and case extraction problems went away once the chamber had the correct finish.

Ether way, it is just a bad chamber

J E CUSTOM

Bite the bullet and send it back. Call them 1st and also tell them that it ruined how every many pieces of brass. Ask how they will compensate you for it and your time and trouble. I think Savage will make good on it.

Figured I'd post up my sorrows. I'll refrain from mentioning the name until I have some feedback from the manufacturer...

Rifle is brand new, upper end of their line (over $1100 MSRP). I picked it up this afternoon and took it straight to my wheat field. 6 hours later, it's going in the box to be sent back to the mothership.

Noticed that I was having weird "gritty" extraction, but chalked it up to no lube on the bolt. Nope...

When I got home and looked at the brass in good light, I found this...

View attachment 159337

View attachment 159338

There's a pair of horrific burrs near the breach face, which caused the nasty gouges you can see at the base of the brass above the belt.

As you can also see, there's more rings than a tree. They're clearly visible with the naked eye, and so pronounced that they're marking up the brass from base to shoulder.

This seems WAY beyond "Monday Morning Manufacture". I swabbed the barrel before shooting it, and it was clearly test fired (also some soot on the muzzle brake). I can't believe their tooling could even produce something this awful, LET ALONE that their QC would let something like this escape out in the wild to be sold to some poor sucker like me...

Needless to say, I'm pretty freeking bummed right now. :(
Yes sir i would be livid

Figured I'd post up my sorrows. I'll refrain from mentioning the name until I have some feedback from the manufacturer...

Rifle is brand new, upper end of their line (over $1100 MSRP). I picked it up this afternoon and took it straight to my wheat field. 6 hours later, it's going in the box to be sent back to the mothership.

Noticed that I was having weird "gritty" extraction, but chalked it up to no lube on the bolt. Nope...

When I got home and looked at the brass in good light, I found this...

View attachment 159337

View attachment 159338

There's a pair of horrific burrs near the breach face, which caused the nasty gouges you can see at the base of the brass above the belt.

As you can also see, there's more rings than a tree. They're clearly visible with the naked eye, and so pronounced that they're marking up the brass from base to shoulder.

This seems WAY beyond "Monday Morning Manufacture". I swabbed the barrel before shooting it, and it was clearly test fired (also some soot on the muzzle brake). I can't believe their tooling could even produce something this awful, LET ALONE that their QC would let something like this escape out in the wild to be sold to some poor sucker like me...

Needless to say, I'm pretty freeking bummed right now. :(
My last new rifle purchase was a Model 70 Winchester. It would not cycle loaded rounds. A shotgun purchase (Remington) looked like it had 48 tpi cut down the bore.

Bad feeling getting a new firearm with problems. The pictures were great. I did zoom in on the horrible marks left in the brass. Same with me. My barrel was sent back to get yet again reamed. Mine was not a savage. Good luck. I'll be Interested to hear what they say.

That chamber is definitely sub standard for any chamber and needs to go back...

I would also recommend that you place a small scratch or punch mark somewhere hidden so they don't polish the chamber and sent you the same barrel back...
J E CUSTOM
Very good idea. I had a rifle rebarreled once, from this same manufacturer, and based on a number of things, I was not convinced I actually got a new barrel. At the time, I wished I would have done something similar. I will certainly do so this time around!

It is a weekend, so I'm not exactly upset that it took 2 days, but I did get a reply a few minutes ago.

"I apologize for the difficulties. We would be happy to inspect and as necessary, repair the firearm. Please send the firearm, along with a letter detailing the issues to:
Once it arrives, our gunsmiths will assess it and take corrective actions as required, before function firing it and returning it to you."

I'm not particularly pleased for a few obvious reasons.

1) No prepaid return label. They expect me to drop another $50 on a brand new gun, to ship it back because it's defective out of the box...?

2) "inspect, and as necessary, repair...". I sent them the same two photos I posted here. Don't give me "as necessary". This is a broken gun. Period.

3) No timetable on the process. Will this take two weeks or two months?

I replied with...

Greetings,
Please send me a prepaid return shipping label, as It is unacceptable to expect me to pay ~$50 shipping for an item that is clearly defective from the manufacturer. It's already cost me ~$30 in ruined brass and wasted ammunition.

Also, how long do you anticipate the turn around time will be?

Sincerely,

We'll see what they say...

Very good idea. I had a rifle rebarreled once, from this same manufacturer, and based on a number of things, I was not convinced I actually got a new barrel. At the time, I wished I would have done something similar. I will certainly do so this time around!

It is a weekend, so I'm not exactly upset that it took 2 days, but I did get a reply a few minutes ago.

I'm not particularly pleased for a few obvious reasons.

1) No prepaid return label. They expect me to drop another $50 on a brand new gun, to ship it back because it's defective out of the box...?

2) "inspect, and as necessary, repair...". I sent them the same two photos I posted here. Don't give me "as necessary". This is a broken gun. Period.

3) No timetable on the process. Will this take two weeks or two months?

I replied with...

We'll see what they say...
That is fair. I am eager to see their reply.

Send two pieces of the damaged brass along with the rifle.
Anxious to see the remedy and manufacturer.

I had a factory ammo issue with reversed primers and Winchester sent the label and cost of replacement ammo X2.

Not browning. Savage. Almost easier and definitely faster to have someone with a lathe sand and polish the chamber. Best of luck
I had a new Savage in my shop a few years ago. Owner couldn't even chamber a round. Had bits of something inside it. Looked a bit like dessicant "prills". Cleaned them out of chamber and inside trigger group and all seemed well.
One MUST clean a new gun before firing it!

As an Aviation QC inspector for decades it is easy to understand how this got past the factory final inspection. Companies cut costs by using lower paid employees to up their bottom line for the share holders and it is also possible that the Final inspection was done on a Monday or a Friday!!! Do not try and make it right yourself as you said there could be other issues as well, make the manufacturer pay the price for substandard product.

Tell them you can do better than a letter:see attached pictures...Be interested in hearing about their customer service
I printed the pictures full page, and popped them in the box...
Send two pieces of the damaged brass along with the rifle...
I meant to based on your suggestions, but like an idiot, I forgot to include the brass during the packing process...:mad:

After my email reply went unacknowledged for almost 72 hours, I called them. The guy on the phone was very "neutral" towards my issues, including complaints about being ghosted for 3 days, but did immediately send me a prepaid label without much prodding.

He indicated it would be a minimum of 3 weeks round trip, and said "if it requires a new barrel" it could be "quite a bit longer", though he wouldn't give me a number. Interestingly, he mentioned that "It would have to be manufactured, then sent out for the coating". Seems nutty that a manufacturer wouldn't have at least a few "spares" in hand for current selling products...

Also, I was in a hurry to get to work and pack for Turkey Weekend travels, and I forgot to get the necessary UPC/packaging images I'll need to claim a nice rebate on the rifle...:confused:

So far, I'm not real happy. We'll see how long it takes to get back, and how it functions/shoots, before I get too grumpy...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.