Which 284 cal for new chamber?

I just did a Pac Nor barrel in 280ai (SAAMI). Mine has a 1:8 twist. I want to be able to stabilize just about any 7mm bullet that would be sane to shoot out of a 280ai.

I sold my 280ai barrel. Just could not get it to shoot the bullets I wanted to shoot out of it. So gonna get a new barrel . What barrel would you go with? Length and what cal? I want to stay with the .284 caliber.
Try another 280ai? Or what?

7x61 S&H I have a friend here on the forum that has one built by Chandler at Iron Brigade Armory.. It's a shorter (barrel) than what I'd call norm for a 7mm in the magnum class.. but boy does it shoot, actually quite amazing out there in 1K land.
Physically I don't see much difference in the 7x61 S&H over the 7 Remington Magnum.. as far as case's go.. and the vel's seem to say the same thing.. But'.., I've shot both and the Sharps & Hart cartridge is a top performer. I'd tell you about some of the group's I've seen him fire at 1K with his hand loads, but I don't want to get into the muffled BS cough over it.
Anyway something to think about. I'm a big fan of PacNor barrels by the way, they've done a great job for me over the years, after my barrel guy moved out of country.
Cheers

morning, if u go with a magnum caliber, u will have the bolt face opened to fit the

magnum caliber. if u do so request a sako extractor b installed on the bolt face.

I know I am going to have to open the bolt face, I am going to go with a sako extractor. That's not a big deal .

I know I am going to have to open the bolt face, I am going to go with a sako extractor. That's not a big deal .

I think a Sako extractor is an un-necessary safety risk. I would not own one.

How much more? Is it just less body taper and a sharper shoulder over a standard 280 Ack?

It is not as much gain as the rest of the Sherman chamberings because the 280 A.I. was pretty good to begin with. That said, it is still significant with the body taper being less and the shoulder moved forward, and it still has a good long neck. The shoulder is the same as the A.I. at 40 degrees. If you are going to build an A.I. anyway, why not get the additional gain? I friend of mine use to say "if you are going to be a bear, might as well be a grizzly"! You can still fire form just like an A.I. but there is an extra step in sizing the neck to provide proper head space. Not too much trouble for me but some might not feel the same. If that is a problem, then build the A.I. which is a fine cartridge.......Rich

had 6 rem. 721 la done with sako extractors no problems. a very good smith's

recommendation. I never questioned his acknowledge. an opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.