284 win chamber

I have 3 284's and two are clip fed and have restricted my ability to seat bullets out. That said, the old Browning a-bolt has been a tack driver throughout it's life. The factory barrel shot many 1/4" 3 shot groups and that accuracy lasted for over 5000 rounds!! That barrel was replaced by a #3 shilen and that accuracy was returned for another 5000 rounds. Now with over 11,000 rounds thru that rifle, it is in need of another barrel. I have found not issues with bullet jump which on some bullets is over 200 thousandths in this rifle. I have not loaded any bullet over 154 grains in this rifle and being a 1/10 twist has shot most really well - especially the barnes 140 TSX bullets. Lack of penetration is not an issue with these bullets and I see no reason to seek other options. The original barrel is 22" and the replacement was 23" which I feel is optimum for this cartridge. Velocity in the 23" barrel is close to 3100 FPS with some powders.

I have 2 dogs in the fight
Id recommend getting the chamber
Made for the longer heavier bullets
The 284 really is a excellent choice for target or hunting And it really shines chambers in the 284 Shehane
With the 284 Shehane you can shoot 284 win factory if you prefer.
If you dont reload the the Shehane chamber may not benefit you.
Either way great cartridge imho
Bob

I have 2 dogs in the fight
Id recommend getting the chamber
Made for the longer heavier bullets
The 284 really is a excellent choice for target or hunting And it really shines chambers in the 284 Shehane
With the 284 Shehane you can shoot 284 win factory if you prefer.
If you dont reload the the Shehane chamber may not benefit you.
Either way great cartridge imho
Bob
What is the difference between the two? I have most everything needed to reload the 284 win already.

Finding this very interesting. After an in depth convo regarding " the elusive Cold Barrel Shot" a friend gave me his .284 custom Remage on a long action to use for the Colorado muley season along with a can of brass and bullets and a recipe. I have followed the recipe closely and I can say I have only had one rifle in a lifetime that had as good a CBS as this .284 and that was a, get ready for it- a 1957 J C Higgins .270 Win. which was the first truly "my" own rifle. I have owned it and shot for 50+ years.
My buddy may not get his .284 back and my old .270 may get some rest.

The shehane is an improved chamber. The body taper is blown out .010 so you get about 3 grains extra powder.

I'm looking to put together my first "customish" rifle over the next few months-year. I'll be using a tikka t3x action and wanting to do a 284 win. I've gotten a little lost in my research when It comes to chambering, seems most of the conversations I've read through people are chambering for a specific, heavier, longer round. My plan is to purchase a PBB prefit which will be a SAAMI chamber? ( I believe).
I'm not interested in shooting those longer heavier bullets. The heaviest bullet I'll be shooting is a 162 eldx and 160 accubond but mostly will be 120 and 130 nosler bt and speer Spitzer bt. Will the saami chamber work for the bullets I'm wanting to use. Don't want to buy a barrel just to learn I'm handicapped from being able to load it to potential.
Saami is 2.8" in the . 284. If you use the 160 class bullets you listed at 2.8", you'll be giving up a lot of performance and may as well just go with the 7-08. My short action 284 has a short freebore but handles the 162 elds at 2.975". They fit in the accurate mag (without the binder plate). I'm getting 3000fps with the 162s in a 25" barrel. You won't need much of an increase in OAL for much better performance with the 284. Not sure what bottom metal and mags the Tikkas take.

Recent Posts