284 win chamber

Cooperw

I'm looking to put together my first "customish" rifle over the next few months-year. I'll be using a tikka t3x action and wanting to do a 284 win. I've gotten a little lost in my research when It comes to chambering, seems most of the conversations I've read through people are chambering for a specific, heavier, longer round. My plan is to purchase a PBB prefit which will be a SAAMI chamber? ( I believe).
I'm not interested in shooting those longer heavier bullets. The heaviest bullet I'll be shooting is a 162 eldx and 160 accubond but mostly will be 120 and 130 nosler bt and speer Spitzer bt. Will the saami chamber work for the bullets I'm wanting to use. Don't want to buy a barrel just to learn I'm handicapped from being able to load it to potential.

PBB will throat a barrel however you want them to. You can send them a couple dummy rounds and they'll throat it to your loading.
Are you going to run the 284 win as a long action or short? If short, you can probably just go SAAMI, but you'll be giving up a lot of potential.
This! Also, have the minimum recommended barrel twist recommendation of the bullets you will use.

PBB will throat a barrel however you want them to. You can send them a couple dummy rounds and they'll throat it to your loading.
Are you going to run the 284 win as a long action or short? If short, you can probably just go SAAMI, but you'll be giving up a lot of potential.
It is a 30/06 tikka action.

Personally, I wouldn't go with a SAAMI spec chamber if I had the option of a custom. The throat on a SAAMI 284 Win is a very long, shallow angle. (0°47'33") If you can get a 1.5°/side, 3° included leade, I would opt for that especially if you were primarily going to shoot lighter 120 and 130 grain bullets.

Last edited:
Here is a little data taken from a straight SAAMI 284 Win chamber. The OAL is good, but remember the OG dimension is taken off MY comparative gauge and DOES NOT necessarily transfer go your application.

I hope it's helpfu.

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpeg
    IMG_2374.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 94
I have a Tikka 284 from X-Caliber. They don't denote that it's not a SAAMI, so I assume it is.

Attachments

• PXL_20211130_031610189.jpg
    PXL_20211130_031610189.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 50
The point I was trying to make was not the overall length of the of the loaded round, but the shallow leade angle will burn away faster than a steeper throat, especially using lighter bullets with more powder. Plus with a Match ground reamer, the brass won't get worked as much, so longer case life as well.

Last edited:
I have a Tikka 284 from X-Caliber. They don't denote that it's not a SAAMI, so I assume it is.
Your measurements look more like mine which is the "norma" or "match" chamber reamer for the 180's.
My measurement is 2.565 B to O with 180 Hybrid and 2.535 B to O with 162 ELD-X.
My current Hornady load runs about 2.510" B to O with 162 A-Max.... Well out of the neck/shoulder junction.

I had another barrel chambered in SAMMI that was much shorter for 140 Accubond loads.
I took it to a smith and throated it to my dummy round so both barrels could be loaded the same.

To Cooperw:

I think the SAMMI chamber will run great with the bullets you plan on using up to 162's...Especially in the long action configuration.

Last edited:
Your measurements look more like mine which is the "norma" or "match" chamber reamer for the 180's.
My measurement is 2.565 B to O with 180 Hybrid and 2.535 B to O with 162 ELD-X.
My current Hornady load runs about 2.510" B to O with 162 A-Max.... Well out of the neck/shoulder junction.

I had another barrel chambered in SAMMI that was much shorter for 140 Accubond loads.
I took it to a smith and throated it to my dummy round so both barrels could be loaded the same.

To Cooperw:

I think the SAMMI chamber will run great with the bullets you plan on using up to 162's...Especially in the long action configuration.
In your opinion, would having a barrel throated for the longer bullets affect my ability to shoot the lighter ones with success?

It depends on what you consider acceptable accuracy.
If you want to shoot light 120-140 grain bullets, you should look at a
7mm-08 Remington. You'll burn 5-6 grains less powder for near the same performance. Where the 284 Win starts to shine is with 150+ grain bullets.
Look at some reloading data and compare the 2 cartridges. You'll see the differences. Another contender is the 280 Rem or the 280 Rem Ackley since you have a long action. Do some comparisons and keep the barrel length that was used in mind. I'm not trying to steer you away from the 284 Win, just opening options for your intended use, which I'm not quite sure what you have in mind.

Last edited:
In your opinion, would having a barrel throated for the longer bullets affect my ability to shoot the lighter ones with success?
I never actually used the 140 or less...but have a load of 150 NBT that jump 144k and shoot fine groups.
150 ABLR jump a very long ways and shoot well too.

After reading over your original post again... I'd suggest going with a SAMMI chamber for the weights you want to shoot.
The long action (30-06) configuration will allow your chamber to determine max length and you can always throat it a bit longer if needed.

Oh... definitely a 9 twist. It'll handle up to 180's.

AND...Get ready to love again!!!

Last edited: