284 Win

srhaggerty

I currently have a savage 7mm-08 that I am going to rebarrel with a Shilen drop in for a 284 Win caliber.

My question is how much if anything am I going to gain by going longer than the standard 26" barrel?

IMO, you have nothing to gain by extending the barrel length beyond 26 inches.
My tactical .284 uses a 26" barrel, one inch of which is dedicated to an integral muzzle brake. It shoot under .5 MOA all day long and still has punch out beyond 1K.

That's what I was figuring. Wasn't sure if there was plenty of velocity to be gained running it out to 30".

In my experience, once the pressure curve has peaked the bullet should leave (or have left) the muzzle. Trying to time the bullet's muzzle departure to match the pressure curve peak by finding the perfect load to produce that result each and every time, outside of a laboratory, is impossible. Even then, it may not provide the most accurate result.

You'll gain more by seating the bullet out, so the OAL is longer. Your 7mm/08 is a short action, you need a LA to take full advantage of the .284 Win. where the barrel can be throated for the longer OAL and still feed fron the magazine.

Yeah Short if I had the LA that is the way I would be going. Unfortunately I am just going to make the best of what I got on hand. But I would like a LA for sure.

Yeah Short if I had the LA that is the way I would be going. Unfortunately I am just going to make the best of what I got on hand. But I would like a LA for sure.

You may want to read this

.284 Win Tactical Hunter

I shoot 284 on long action with 27" barrel and it's a hunting rifle. Prior to that rifle, I had 284 build short action with 24" barrel.

Appreciate that link Tom. I had read that before and that's originally where I got the idea to do a .284. Looked like a good shooting gun

Well 26" is the standard length it came in so I figured I would start there. Shoot I wish I would have seen that first. I did order some 6.5-284 from Brownells for 20 bucks less. I figure I am going to two stage expand the necks. I bought an H&M precision expander to bump to 270 first then go to 284

I described my .284 setup earlier so I won't go into it again.
I note that the rifle described at:
.284 Win Tactical Hunter
boasts a 3 shot group at about .335.
I get 5 shot groups at .391 - 185 gr Berger Hybrid Targets @ CBOL 2.255 over 50gr H4831sc and the fact that they're not tighter is not the gun's fault.

Attachments

• 284 .391.jpg
    284 .391.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 110
Have not loved my one and only Shillen barrel also chambered in 284 Win. Also if you flute it they void any warrantee.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.