which chamber for a 308 win?

JOSE A. MARINE

Have this one project that need some advise, I want to buy a chamber reamer for this project and need to know which type of chamber will work best for a tactical/hunting rifle?

barrel is a varmint contour hart in 1:10 twist., should I go with the palma, obermeyer, match, palma match?? its very confusing.

I do reload but do not want to turn necks, and cassually( and if in need to use factory ammo). which chamber will give me best results...??

I´ll never use heavier than 180 grains bullets... preferrably, 150,165/168,175 and tops 178/180 bullets.

please help !!

thanks
Joe

OK be very carefull here any of the palma reamers are very tight in the base generaly designed areound a Win case so stay away from them and the best reamer you could use for a multipurpose reamer is a M852 Match it is tight enough that you dont have to much case expansion but you can run every case in it including Lapua and the throat will work for most projectiles run out around mag length. but if you have a gunsmith doing the work they should already have one and it will save you some coin.

Contact APcific tool and guage, Clymer or Dave Manson they all have the M852 reamer available.

Also make sure you get a removable piloted reamer and a set of pilots i would reccoment Pacific as they use a screw to hold the pilots on instead of tyhe circlips like Clymer that can come loose and score your bore.

Cheers Bill
Australia

easy, go to Pacific tool and guage (PTG) and call Dave Kiff and tell him what you want. He has it and can tell you what will work with the range you are talking

BH

I'll second this recommend. Dave Kiff is awesome. Called me back personally, listened to what I was building,what I wanted out of it, and gave me good intel on the right reamer for my purpose. Great guy.

THANKS, Yes I´ve met Mr. Kiff at the shot show this year, and yes he is a very nice guy.

I just wanted some background and opinions for when I talk with him, so I could have a better "educated" opinion (if that is possible).

I can always use some experts opinion..like yours.
and your experience on building rifles surpasses that of every gunsmith in Mexico.

what chamber would be best for tactical/competition??

the main purpose of this custom build is for shooting silhouettes..200,300,385, 400 and 500 meters. once a year a trip for a whitetail.

thanks.
Joe

We have over 20 different 308 chamber reamers and as mentioned the M852 Match will suit your needs contact Dave Kiff and i am sure he will also say it would be the prefered reamer for your application.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.